Emmy's brain is a never ending interest to me. If she really gets going on a project, it becomes nearly impossible to break her concentration - you know, if I need too.
Often I will be talking right to her, with her facing me, looking right at me, and she won't get one word of what I said. As soon as I stop talking, she'll start telling me all about what ever it was that was going on in her head. Then I'll ask her if she heard me and she'll give me this look like "did you say something?"
She and I were discussing it recently. These were her words:
"I can see you and I can hear you but my body just doesn't do it. My brain's just like.... blaahhgoo!"
Isn't that interesting? It then becomes my job to not lose my patience, realize that she's not trying to be a stinker, and tell her again what I had already told her.
One way I have found to channel her focus is to read to her. She hears every single word. She hangs onto every single word. She talks about it when we're not reading, always guessing what's going to happen next in the story. I can't even tell you how much I love reading to her!
We just finished Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books. You know them. You've read them! I guarantee it! We read all nine of them, and I had never read the last two, and I was enthralled. When I found out that there is an Ingalls museum in Missouri I was totally ready to jump in the car and go! PA'S FIDDLE IS REALLY THERE! DO YOU KNOW HOW COOL THAT IS?!ahem.
I totally bawled when Jack the bulldog died, and also when Almanzo proposed. But so did Emmy, which made me feel much better.
After a saga like those, we had to move on to something really good.
Please bless you have read this book. It the epitome of adorable. The story of the six school children of Shora, Holland, and their quest to bring the Storks back to their village.
At one point in the story, when the storks were finally really there and the villagers were gathered quietly around, Jonah ran into the room banging on something and Emmy called out
"Jonah! Be quiet! You're going to scare the Storks!"
About one second later she realized what she had said, and laughed at herself. "He he Mom, I thought I was in Shora."
Homeschooling this child is going to be an amazing adventure.


2 comments:
Jane,
this post is calling me to read little house on the prairie again. I can relate to Emma my brain goes blaahhgoo all day long.
The reason you like Little House on the Prairie is because that's your family in which you were reared......yep, har de har.
Post a Comment