Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Drumroll...

Surprise! It's another post about my garden! Who'da thunk it. 

We've officially hit 'frost' season (not to be confused with 'autumn'), which means most of the garden has turned to mush. Caleb and Pete were out there in the rain last week right before the first frost, bringing in everything that had any sign of being edible to save it from the cold. Emmy was dying to don her winter clothes and join them, and being the Mother that I am I let her - on condition that she take the camera out with her. 
She obliged.

 It was a wet wet world. See the snow on the hilltops? That was headed for us.

 I like how Pete is crouched down, but he's smiling at eye level. It's because he's smiling at her three-feet-off-the-ground camera.

 See? Everything that was remotely edible. Might as well, right? And, as it turns out, green tomatoes will ripen inside the house.

See? She's really short! Is this the view of him she always has? Guess so! 

Anyways... so the veggies were saved, and a few days have gone by, and now it's lovely and warmish again! And time to clean out the garden. 
I enlisted the help of the minions, and our favorite minion from down the road, and we got to work. All those plants that they're standing in? They're gone! And this was the only photo that I took. You're welcome. 

But inside the house, that's where all the action is. 
 Hold out your hand. Now picture how big this potato is. Hugungeous, that's how huge.

 And look at my counter top! Oh, well... if you could see it, that is.

 And there's more. I'm going to can tomatoes tomorrow. Have I ever canned tomatoes? No. Do I have any idea how to can tomatoes? No.
Hasn't stopped me yet.

Could some one please explain to me why I thought it was a brilliant idea to order a 25lb case of Peaches from the Bountiful Basket this week? Really, Jayne? Yes, it was a great deal... but look at your countertops. Honestly. 
I was planning on canning them too... but I'm secretly hoping that we eat them all before I get around to it. 

Back outside, our porch has also been overrun. 
 We had a bumper crop of Pumpkins this year, to go along with our cucumbers.

 Green, Orange, somewhere in between... we picked them all.
Caleb went out and rotated all of them to sit up straight when they first started growing, so they all grew perfectly round and lovely, wasn't that smart of him? I married a thinker.

 This one is Claire's favorite. Possibly because it's the only one she can lift.

I have to admit that despite my lack of gardening knowledge, our portion of the garden did pretty good. Pete's does well every year, and we're slowly soaking up his bits of advice.
Gardening has taught us many things, and I think we all grew quite a bit right along with it.

1 comment:

Holbrook's said...

What will we do when our minions are no longer just a short jaunt down the street?