Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Back to work

Alright, babymoon's over, get back to work!

Shoo whee too, it was getting way too lazy around here. The garden was needing us. 

That giant bush behind the kids is actually tomato plants. They went a little bazerk this year. 


Our landlord's had been out picking the last few days and had already taken more than they could use, so they set us loose. 
Someday I'm going to figure out how to grow tomatoes. I really am. But until then, I'll keep killing mine as they fail to grow right next to Pete's flourishing ones. 

A few handfuls of cilantro, and we're ready!


Watch out, here comes a lot of salsa. 


Claire's excited!


Cracks me up how much these kids love the garden, and everything that has to do with it. They don't even like salsa! But they were so stoked to make some! 

 They're strange.

I wonder where they get it. 
They get their cuteness from him too, so it all works out.


This was a first for us. We usually only make fresh Salsa, but who can eat gallons of fresh salsa before it goes bad? Not the two of us. So we canned it. 

The next day we picked Tomatillos, and Trena came over to teach us how to make and can Salsa Verde. Like my kitchen? It's seen better days.
I take that back. This was an awesome day in the kitchen!

Have you ever tried Salsa Verde? I'm hooked.
Trena picked 15 gallons of tomatillos. We picked another 10. There's at least that many more still out there. But the carrots never grew! Who can explain these things?!

 By this time Jonah and Claire were off doing... something else.

This incredibly sweet little thing did this most of the time, which meant I actually got to help in the kitchen a little! I love the first few weeks of babyness, for so many reasons. 
Why am I blogging about Salsa?! Look at what I could be writing about!

 The first-time-for-us salsa canning was a success, thanks to friendly neighbors who are willing to share their garden. And their recipes. And their hugungeous stock pot. And come over and help do all the work.

 Self-reliant. Neighbor-reliant. It all works out:)

4 comments:

Diana said...

Love this post- cute kids, canning, gardening, a most beautiful baby. This post has it all. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. Oh, and see you soon.

JoAnn said...

MMMMMMM......love salsa verde

Holbrook's said...

I love this! Remember when we canned all that grape juice?? Good times. I canned some salsa today as well and I used tomato's and peppers from my very own garden!! A definite first for me! It feels oh so good to be self reliant!

gr.nette said...

can't wait to taste it...you guys are fantabulous.