Friday, January 04, 2013

The stockings were hung

After yesterday's rant about creating and art and masterpieces, and me wrapping it up by showing you my little painting (which was rather odd of me) (who's surprised?) I thought I'd give you an example of something truly worthy of the title of art.

I've shown you a few of these before, but for my birthday this year my SIL Amanda gifted me with the final three stockings. Yes, she even finished one for Millie in time for Christmas!

 She spends so much time choosing the perfect stockings. It takes her years, in some cases, to find the one that really captures the person she's creating it for. You'll see. Look at Emmy's here, it couldn't be more perfect.

 I love the colors on this one so much. And the Lion and the Lamb. And every single other stitch on it.

I can't even comprehend the patience it takes to cross stitch. I don't know that kind of patience. Remember what I said about abandoning ship when an art piece takes too long? Exactly.

 This one is Caleb's. It just kills me how perfect these are.

I had a little discussion with her on Christmas Eve about Art, and how much we come to love the pieces we work on. Then, usually, when it's finished we give it away. We send it off. A little piece of ourselves, out into the world. Hoping that it will be as loved as it was when it was growing in my home.

Kinda like childbirth, but not as painful.

 Claire actually has a bear that looks exactly like the one on her stocking. His name is Daddy Bear.

All through December, every time Millie needed to nurse (which is the only time I seem to sit down) I would position myself in just the right spot on the couch so as to get the full view of the stockings hanging on the mantle. This means that I spent many hours staring at them, and I never got tired of it. I love them so much.
Packing them away was hard, and I'm already excited for next season so I can get them out again.

I love that she put Jonah's initials for a border at the top of this one. I really just wish I were Tolstoy at this very moment. Then I could tell you how much I love them and you would really feel the warmth inside that I feel! 
This is what art does to me! And she combined Art with Christmas Stockings, which are already by default something that we love and cherish and grow old with. 

If I had to pick a favorite, which I can't, mine would be it. 
This one. It takes my breath away. Tiny little threads, organized just so, and look at what she created!

I can't really express how grateful I am. Thank You, Amanda. I love them.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm glad you love them. I loved making them for you.

Taylor and Mackenzie Nelson said...

WOW. I can't even describe how in awe I am at the skill and talent it must have taken to make all of those stockings.

JoAnn said...

Great TREASURES!

karla said...

I packed our stockings away in tissue paper and plastic wrap today, thinking all the same things. Amanda put such thought and love into each stocking and who it was for. Not only are the stockings a treasure, so is she.

Kristen said...

Amazing!!!

gr.nette said...

They are absolutely fantastic, Amanda, what a sweet sister you are.

Holbrook's said...

What an amazing SIL you have...these are breathtaking both in pictures and far more so in real life...Amanda it is a beautiful gift!!!