Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Hair today, gone tomorrow

It happened again.
Only this time, after cutting her hair, she cleaned up after herself. Really. She swept up the hair and put it in the garbage can.
She gave herself a perfect mullet, and both sides were trimmed quite evenly! It was an impressive mullet! Especially considering that she cut it with plastic kid scissors. 

And if such a Do was accepted in our culture... nope, I wouldn't have left it even then. It had to go.

As the event took place right before bed, she did get to experience one night of mullet head. Then the next morning I plopped her in her chair in the middle of the kitchen floor, and started cutting away her lovely girly curls.

Guess what? This kid has her own agenda. She decided that she needed a hair cut, so she gave herself one. If she's hungry, she feeds herself. If she's tired, she goes to bed. If she wants to color on my brand new wood floors with a permanent marker, by golly she's going to! And she did. Bless her heart.

She's also incredibly kind. The same something inside of her that makes her think that she's grown up and can do things that a normal three year old shouldn't has also blessed her with an oddly mature sense of concern for other people.

She never departs from me without telling me that she loves me the most and that I'm her friend.

She is always concerned about Amelia's happiness, and is often running around the house trying to find her blankie or favorite book or baby doll or cracker or whatever else she thinks Millie might like.

She also really knows how to push Jonah's buttons, and makes him scream with frustration at least once a day. You should see the way her eyes twinkle with a devilish gleam. Then she melts him with a hug and a "sorry, Jonah" and all is well again. Stinker.

She gets herself dressed on most days, and some of the outfits have been surprisingly adorable. She sings half of the things she says. She loves trees, and told me once that she wants to live with them.

Sometimes when Claire looks at me with her huge black eyes I can see inside of her, and that there is no end to her. I can see that she isn't only three years old, but that she's actually been around for a very long time. 



Strange things go on inside that head of hers, most of which I will never understand. She's funny, to say the least. I have a "Funny Book" where I write down the funny things they say, and I'd say more than half of the quotes are from her.

Oh Claire. I'm so glad you're in my family. Being your Mom is such a treat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart, indeed!

karla said...

She is such a treat! You just can't help but adore her. Secretly, she is the one I want to see most when we visit! Shhh. and boy does she look like her daddy!

JoAnn said...

My mom calls her MiniCaleb. I enjoy every moment I get to spend with this old soul! Love you, Clairey!