Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Last day in Nauvoo

I forgot to ad this to the last post!
This was the last thing we did. And possibly the best, for me. 

Like I said before, the houses and shops were closed for the evening and the old town of Nauvoo was becoming deserted. 

Some parts of old Nauvoo are not owned by the LDS church, including Joseph Smith's home and the Smith Family Burial Plot. We drove by and the gate was still open, so we stopped. The kids were inhaling snacks and juice boxes in the car and weren't interested in getting out right then, so Caleb and I walked into the yard together. 

The home and plot are right down near the river, where it's quiet and peaceful. The whole town is quiet and peaceful, but especially so here. 


This place was special to me. I finally understood some things that I hadn't before, and felt things I hadn't before, and learned some things I hadn't known before. Things that are too special to share here, but that happened just the same. 

I know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet who spoke face to face with Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. 


The prophet's parents and buried here, too, and I loved their headstones. Aren't they simple and nice? 


After that long and gorgeous day in Nauvoo, we were bushed! We got back to the hotel and the kids were ready to conk out.... all except Mildred. She had napped multiple times during the day and was still a bundle of energy, so she and Dad headed to the pool while the big kids got ready for bed. 
We walked down to check on them, and they seemed to be doing just fine.


Now we all know where she gets it!
The big kids conked out, these two little kids swam and swam and swam, and I ate. Actually I can't remember what I was doing, but it's a pretty fair assumption to say I was eating. Oh! I was writing in my journal! And also eating.

The next morning dawned bright and lovely, and we made our way to the temple.
 The kid's first question was "Can we touch it?"
"Yes, of course you may."

 I have no words. It's just so beautiful.

 I know that this building was only built 12 years ago, but it is as close as possible to the original one built from 1840-1846. Seeing it reminds me of what they must have gone through, having built the original one without our modern machinery. I think I talked about that in a previous post. The craftsmanship of this era is so amazing! We've gained a lot of speed with our fancy new gadgets, but are we losing the art?! Sometimes, yes. My opinion. But this Temple has all the modern awesomeness while still maintaining the art and craftsmanship.

And again, the flowers. Guess what? I have red tulips in my yard. They're dandelions compared to these tulips! I love it.

 It kind of looks like I'm kneeling before the statue of Joseph and Hyrum... well, probably because I am, but it's not in obeisance. It's so I could read the plaque easier. Promise.

 Have you been here? If not, I sincerely hope that one day you get the opportunity. You'll be glad you did.

 We've never attempted this classic shot before, and maybe you can see why. Why is Jonah backwards?

Caleb had the camera, and I'm SO GLAD that he did.





That is my kind of road trip destination.

But guess what? The trip wasn't over yet. Chapter two...

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

I want that family pic! Great job chronicling an experience you'll never want to forget!