Monday, October 06, 2008

Harvesting our meager crops:)

We have been busy harvesting! Emmy, it turns out, is a huge raw-corn-fan, as she chows down on her second ear. Good thing we picked plenty; Caleb and I still got some dinner.  My first attempt at tomato plants was... well I'm not sure if it was a success or not. The plants reached galactic proportions, but here you see red tomato number ONE for the year. At this rate we'll be eating fried green tomatoes for months.
Our pumpkins did well! I planted one seed at the corner of the house, but it decided to take over the driveway as well:) 
Also, they're in the shade above, but you can kinda see our beheaded sunflowers - we just picked them! With a machete!Are you seeing the size of these things?! And the two largest ones are already inside!! And look at how many seeds are inside! They ought to last us a while. 
I like growing things that get really big - it's good for morale. I won't show you my cucumber plant that got... 2 inches tall? And my hollyhocks that are supposed to reach 6feet that are just now deciding to grow. I think their internal calendar is off. Or maybe I don't have a clue what I'm doing and it's a fluke that anything in my garden grew at all! That's much more likely. 

3 comments:

Mac said...

That hair in the first picture is awesome!

Camille said...

Jayne! this is amazing!!! And i will have to agree with mac, that hair does exceed hair expectations even for Emmy:)

Unknown said...

Wow. Speaking of hair...did you like how i did it the other night? It was so pretty right? :-) As for the garden, you did great. This was not the best year to start one in Heber. My friends family has a very established garden and they lost all their toms. They just didn't turn red quick enough. The growing season this year was SUPER short. So rest assured that it wasn't you! And sorry i couldn't handle Jonah. I feel so bad that you couldn't have a nice dinner just the two of you. He's never done that with me before! I felt so bad. :-(