Emmy started off the day by volunteering to herd the chickens back to their coop.
Which is kinda funny because later that day we watched a "chicken chase" which was a bunch of little 3 year olds chasing chickens around the horse arena. It was basically what you are seeing here, times 50.
Let me begin by telling you that there is nothing in the world like Liberty Days, in Liberty Utah. It is small town to the max. My Dad volunteered with the breakfast (it's tradition) and he scrambled eggs for 3 hours straight. My Mom headed up the eating contests (she made 14 pies and 80 hot dogs!) and we all participated in the parade.
Ahhh... the Liberty days parade.
It's grown since I was 5, but it's still small town awesome.
When I was little it consisted of the sheriff's truck, and thousands (or so it seemed to this 5 year old) (probably more like 30) kids on streamer-clad bicycles. One year I walked the parade while playing "Yankee Doodle" on my recorder. I kid you not. It was incredible.
And now here I am, conning my own kids into doing it too! How cool is that?!
This was the parade this year:
Check it out! We got a fire truck!
That fire truck was the source of major emotional tragety for my little 3 year old.
Someone decided that the kids on bike should ride in front of it, so off Emmy went. But when that fire truck started following her and blasting it's sirens it scared her so bad she almost fell off her bike. She was absolutely convinced that he was going to run over her. I felt so bad for her, it was really sad!
So we ditched the bike, and she jumped on the float with my Mom (compliments of the Nordic Valley Ward Primary kids).
I relieved Tess of pulling the wagon so she could go do... something else. What? I don't remember.
Jonah and Lainey were in the wagon, and it was DECKED OUT!! Tess and I spent the better part of Friday covered in crepe paper and tape. And of course, when parade time came, my memory card was full. So no pics. But I heard lots of other people got photos, and hopefully I'll be able to insert one later.
It was sweet. And the two little cousins loved it.
We spent the rest of the day in the park, then barbecuing with Caleb's family in Bountiful, visiting great friends in Mountain Green, then headed back to Liberty Days for the fireworks.
The whole park is filled with the families of my childhood. A lot of my friends also come back to Liberty Days every year, so it's fun to see them. And family too. Lots of family! Blankets, Frisbee's, cool mountain evening air, Grandma's popcorn, and sparklers! There's nothing better!
Caleb got some beautiful shots of fireworks this year. These are a few of my favorites:
You gotta love high power explosives.
It was a great fourth.
I love my country.
7 comments:
Very nice Jayne. I think I was only in the parade once, but that's not really my scene, eh? Also, that park certainly seems smaller than it was back in the day, heh.
Awwesome! That makes two years in a row I've missed fourth of july at home... I love Jonah's faces he makes. And Lainey looks like a little boy haha. She's either dirty or bruised, I can't tell from here. And I think the five firework I saw from a mile away definately tops Liberty days, uh huh.
I love Liberty days! This was the first year that I wasn't in the parade for as long as I can remember(Butseptens the year in Italy) and how could I ever forget Liberty days! P.S. The things on Lainey's face are mosquito bites:(
Hi Jayne! It's Amanda Jolley, I'm so glad you have a blog! I found you on Kara's... anyway, what cute kids of yours- they are getting so big! We didn't get to go back for Liberty Days and we were so sad, we really missed it... especially after reading your 4th of July post. It's true there really is nothing that beats it. Hope you guys are doing great. Stay in touch!
JoLayne just have "LOVE these grandbabies" written all over their faces. So cute!!!
jayne, Polly (Anderson) here, I found your blog off of Kim's. I just had to say what a cute family you have! Also, wow, seeing those Liberty Days pictures is a trip down memory lane. It's been forever since I have been up there.
Post a Comment