Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mount Moran Trip Report

Here is a mild trip report of our climb of Mount Moran in the Teton Range.
(It's the peak on the right)
The trip starts with a .5 hour canoe and portage and then a 1 hour canoe to the base of the mountian. The water was clear and perfect...and cold....and wet.
100 yard portage from String Lake to Leigh Lake. The Park service kindly places bear boxes at both ends of the portage to store your gear while you portage your canoe. I guess bears will get in your stuff wilst your on the other end. Go Figure.
After our canoe we hiked 3500 ft elevation gain in 1.1 miles to high camp.
This really is not that bad. Now coming down thats the leg burner. Just ask my legs....thats weird so actually don't talk to my legs.
Our camp buddy.
Easily one of the best camps in the Teton Range. CMC Camp, Elevation 10,000 ft.
4:45 a.m. starting the final uphill slog to begin the actual climb
I think this was another 15oo feet up only in a 1/4 mile or so.
5:30 a.m. getting ready to move onto the CMC face
From here you downclimb and rappel onto the CMC Face.
Climbing
(We did this spot a couple of times and then held there to get the picture)
Still Climbing
It is amazing climbing, the kind you could do all day and love every minute of it. Lots of holds, easy to place protection and fun to negotiate.
500 feet from the Summit and feeling high
Climbing Drizzlepuss on the way down.
(Yes after climbing to the summit and then rapping off the CMC face you have to climb back up to get off the mountian.)
CMC Face
On the way up the CMC Wall. I'm down below Levi somewhere I think...
Summit of Mount Moran (L to R) Glenn, Myself, Levi and Matt
(Can you tell Levi and I are brothers?)
Here is the CMC Route which we followed:
Overall a fantastic trip and really quite the adventure.
Thanks to Levi, Matt and Glenn for a great trip!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caleb, this looks so awesome! That looks like it was an epic adventure - I'm very jealous! The pictures you took look like it's such a cool climb!