Monday, September 21, 2009

One Long (but great) Saturday

Saturday was a very interesting day, to understate dramatically.
We made the pilgrimage to Green River, UT, where Caleb's company is moving. Neither one of us had been there, so we wanted to check it out. And Caleb's Mom was willing to come along and give us the tour, so we said okay.
And Jonah drove. 4 hours later, we're pulling into town. Anyone excited yet?
Don't be. It doesn't get any better than this. We first went to the little Airport, where the company has rented the Hangar there to start production until the ranch facility will be built. Caleb's brother Levi is basically living there, preparing the building for the company's arrival.
Emmy, Karla, Jonah and Levi walked over to check out the planes. Then it was back into town for the famous Melon Days Celebration! Yee-Haw! Apparently Green River is famous for their watermelons, and this is their yearly To-Do. Free Watermelon, all you can eat, all day! And the blow up slides were free. Emmy LOVED that. A Lightning McQueen blow up slide? What's better than that? After we had our fill of the festivities we followed George and Cindy (Caleb's Boss) up the East Side of the River, to get a sweeping view of the whole Ranch - which resides on the West side of the river. This is the far end of the Ranch, with it extending up the river farther to the right of this photo.
I'm just going to be honest here - it was a relief to get out of that town and out into the less-inhabited parts of the country. The Ranch has way more water rights than it needs, and so stays very nice and green.
The Ranch is huge! It goes beyond both sides of this photo. The little darker green strip at the far right side above the alfalfa field is the beginning of the Orchard. Who doesn't love fruit trees? This was a pretty sweet state park just up the river. The camp ground is actually quite decent looking, and the folks there seemed to really be enjoying themselves on the nice white sandy beach! Looked like a great place to spend an afternoon! I guess my biggest worry is... is this where they're going to bury me?
I don't think I'm going to fully express my feelings on the whole matter here on my little piece of the World Wide Web. Partly because I don't know what they are.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Everything in life is what you make of it. In this case, a small town with plenty of room for kids to play with only the threat of snakes, scorpions, wild prairie dogs... :) Whatever Green River turns out to be will be up to us! For now, it is what it is.

JoAnn said...

Oh, Jayne.

karla said...

Oh you crack me up! I loved the cemetery!!! It gave new meaning to "dust to dust"! BUT, did you notice that beautiful sky.
There are still a lot of unknowns, so don't panic yet.

jayne said...

I'm not panicking, not in the least bit!
I really didn't mean for this post to come across negatively, but from the comments it looks like it did.

Sue said...

I think you are all nuts for going somewhere with more brownness than you already have!! It looks like a hick-y, desolate place where only scorpions, rattlesnakes and other various biting critters should live. Be sure to check out the ground and ground water for radioative waste from when they let off nuclear bombs underground there!

I know you are trying to be supportive and think positive, but come on....Do you really want to raise your babies there?

I love you and hope it never happens!

Sue

karla said...

Sue you are spoiled with all your green! Some of us favor shades of brown! AND it's called employment! (with a very good company).

Gr. Nette said...

Seems very peaceful....away from the noise and clamor of a big city, there are pros and cons to every place we live. Is there a green fountain there in Fountain Green?
How far to the nearest Costco?