Caleb and I were both awake by 6:30, so we turned on the tree, started the fire, and twiddled our thumbs until the kids got up at 7:15.
Christmases the first few years of marriage were great and all, but Christmas with kids is a whole new kind of wonderful. All the magic is back in full swing!
Opening presents took a long time. Not because there were a lot (there weren't), but because Jonah just wanted to play with the first one he opened and Emmy wanted to read every new book.
Which was perfect.
Jonah got a fisher price barn, with all the animals and trailers and farmers and... farm stuff. They already have the house and lots of people, so this goes right along with it. I found the matching School Bus at the thrift store two days before too, so that was an added bonus. Turns out that was his favorite toy.
This book that she's opening just kills me. It's The Gardener by Sarah Stewart, and it's the most beautiful children's story on the topic of gardening that I've ever read.
We've checked it out at the library a dozen times, so it was time for her to have her own copy.
There's a little girl in the story that has a love of gardening that she learned from her Grandma, and she uses it to create happiness in the sad depression-era world.
It makes me cry every time.
Seriously. What is it about a bunch of old cracked pots bursting with flowers that gets me? I don't know, but it does.
Christmas morning is magic I tell you.
No comments:
Post a Comment