Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lest you think too highly of me

I got a few comments on our family nights, so for those of you with little kids like mine - here's my tricks. This is so you'll know that I'm not really as clever as you might think I am. I just bought the books!
There are so many cutsie little FHE idea books out there, but really our favorite materials always come from the distribution center - and you can use them knowing that they are First Presidency approved and doctrinal stuff. Which is good:)
The classic FHE Resource Manual is intense. I couldn't believe how much stuff was in there! There's a bit in there about making family night fun for really little kids, but I think it's mostly geared towards families who are a little older than mine. Still good though, obviously.
This manual, on the other hand, changed our family home evening experience for ever:
It's the nursery manual! It's so awesome! If you haven't flipped through it before I highly recommend it. All the lessons are right there laid out for you, with songs, activities, coloring pages, the WORKS.
Makes you look like you spent all afternoon preparing. Who doesn't love that?
Flannel boards are something that you have to take a little time to make, but the effort has been very well worth it. I just Elmers-glued some flannel to a foam core display board - super easy. Then you get the card stock people from the distribution center, cut them out, glue on a little strip of flannel and wah-lah! Hands-on scripture stories.
This book helps me with telling the stories - and the scripture references are all there too so you can have your scriptures open and read the key verses along with it.
This is a major favorite of ours too - it's awesome for Sacrament meeting as well as FHE.
AND! In case you didn't know, all Distribution items ship for free! Just log onto lds.catalog.org and everything you could hope for and more is there.
Although I greatly doubt it, I hope there was something here that maybe you weren't aware of that can help you in your fhe endeavors.
Now I'm off to my Mother In Laws for the night because our well pump died (I promise that's not as rustic as it sounds) and we don't have running water! And don't know when we will!
More on this later, I'm sure:)

2 comments:

Nakita Ellis said...

There were a LOT of somethings in this post that will help spunk up my FHE's. Thanks for the tips!!!!

Momma Monkey said...

Thanks so much for the tips. We have been struggling to find things to do in FHE for a 3 and 1 yo.