Sunday, March 21, 2010

My firstborn

Sometimes when I look at her, I think to myself
"Child, I'm so sorry. I don't have a clue what I'm doing. You came first, so you are the practice child by default. I wish I could raise you twice."
And then I realize that to really get it right, I'd probably have to raise her at least a dozen times.
And then I realize that I don't have such a luxury. This is the only chance I get.
And it makes me want to never do anything but read to her and snuggle and dig in the dirt and forget to eat dinner before we have dessert.
And it comforts me that she doesn't realize most of the mistakes that I make, and loves me any ways.
And when she has her days, and I have my days, those days still end with a snuggle and a kiss and an "I love you"
And I thank Heavenly Father that I get to have her for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry, the oldest always turns out perfect ;-)

She is such a doll, i think you are doing a great job!

Bethanie said...

Sniff sniff. I didn't know I needed an afternoon cry! You're a beautiful mamma, Jayne, and you're raising your littles perfectly. Love you and miss you!