Saturday, October 02, 2010

Hey, we grew some stuff!

Our garden did produce a few things this year, even though many of the plants failed miserably struggled.
These carrots baffled us at first - why were some of them white? Then we tasted one, and it was gross. It wasn't just flavorless, it was really gross. But still crisp. Do carrots lose their color when they go bad underground? I'm clueless.
We have to pick tomatoes as soon as they start to barely turn orange, then let them ripen to deep red in the windowsill inside. Otherwise the birds get them.

I asked Trena once why homegrown tomatoes taste SO fantastically better than store bought ones, and she replied "Because we grow them in poop."

Good theory.
Aren't these carrots just the sweetest thing you've seen today? They're a new variety; Love carrots. Not only do they help you see better, but they help you find your true love.
Just a theory.

Carrots are right up there with tomatoes when it comes to homegrown. The crispy crunch, the flavor, the juice - it's all different.
Honestly, I think they taste best when washed with a hose. Something about not being able to get all of dirt off before you chomp down. It adds to the flavor.

Was I just talking about growing things in poop? Don't think about it. Just eat the carrot.
This one potato will feed my whole family.
Brother Grant (my wise neighbor gardening mentor) said to grow Yukon Golds, so I did. He was right - they grow good in Heber!

No matter what the reason is for turning on the hose, it always turns into a kid party eventually. My kids have recently been drawn to the empty spot in the flower bed where I pulled out the dead pea plants.
They were really excited to show Lainey. And apparently it's best experienced while wearing undies only.
Looks like Jonah is a little peeved about something.
Did you know that water and dirt make Hot Chocolate? It's true. And hot chocolate is very good for watering. I know 'cause they told me.
And when you have a face like this, everything you say must be true!

6 comments:

Diana said...

I am in awe of your gardening abilities. The fact that ANYthing is edible is an accomplishment in my book.

I'm thinking you might want to mail a little of that carrot to Cami.

Oh and at our house we call underwear-only our "company attire" (har-de-har)

Camille said...

pllleeeaaase mail me one! I shall love you more and more for everest.

Unknown said...

Wait I wanted that carrot!!! Cami you are young and gorgeous, you don't need the love carrot...i on the other hand... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that water and dirt also make foamy rootbeer? It's true at my house - we have foamy rootbeer instead of hot chocolate! Ha! Nice job on the harvest!

Camcam said...

Katie- I pretty sure we already established that you were much more naturally gorgeous than I. You may have the love carrot though, I'll settle for the white nasty one :)

Unknown said...

Ha! You are so sweet and kind to take the nasty white carrot. I'm sure it will bring you much love and happiness, because you are a blessed child :-)