I'm about to share with you something that is special and dear to my soul, so no laughing.
*Hee Hee*
Do you know what this is? It is a record player. It's the real deal. My sister Tim (not her real name, just what I call her) and I created a sanctuary, if you will, in our unfinished basement when we were teens. The sign at the entrance read "Jim and Tim's Retro Refuge" and it was all that and more.
We bought this little lovely at D.I. and listened to my Mom's old records. And we bought our own collection too, since they were only 50 cents each.
Maybe it was because we loved it and maybe it was because cd's cost $20 each. Maybe a little of both.
We kinda maybe totally had a thing for Neil, and I'm not afraid to admit it. We started listening as a joke, but it eventually led into a love for the silly man and his songs. I still can't listen to one of his songs without laughing.
"SWEET Caroline, baah baah bahh, Good times never seem so good!"
Couldn't help it.
I'm telling you, there's something about having that little tiny bit of crackle behind the music that just really makes these guys sound great. Kinda like leaving a little bit of dirt on the freshly dug-up carrot. Call me crazy cuz I am.
And then there's Carole. I should have saved her for last, she is one of my top 10 favorites still. I adore her hippiness and her piano and her lovely lyrics and her fuzzy hair.
I also think that my love for her stems from listening to my Mom sing her songs. She's my Mom's favorite. Hers was the first cd my Mom ever purchased. I know, I was there. See? I'm not as young as you thought.
Have you ever heard "Chances Are" by Johnny Mathis? Gives me chills. Love it.
And guess what? This one's Caleb's! See? We're a match made in heaven. This is his Signed Santana album cover. Yes, that's right. Carlos himself.
Someday I'm going to track down a record to go inside it.
This one is so nostalgic of my Dad in Southern California it wigs me out. He was the Beach Boys as far as I was concerned when I was little. Maybe because he and a few friends lip-synched a concert once. Those were the days...
And John. Dear dear John Denver, I love you so. I'm excited to meet you in heaven someday. And so far you're my kid's favorite. I said no laughing.
There wasn't one single photo of a kid in this post, and you're still reading? This is a good sign. You're a well rounded reader.
No pun intended. Round and round and round.
7 comments:
Oh jayne. This is the best. I'm so glad you posted about this. I might be like 30 years younger than you, but I still love these guys too promise! I had forgotten all about johnny mathis, but after reading this I went straight to itunes and bought it. Maybe i'll go to value village and see if there's a record player for like 2 bucks, because i agree with the dirt on the carrot deal. And no one loves Carole King like the Christensen girls! Hey mom, did you put carole in our water or something? I still listen to her all the time. ok i'm done with my novent. (comment/novel? did that work?)
Novents are your specialty, cam. And everyone always reads every word!
Can I have your record player when you die, Jayne?
We too love our record player. John Denver has the record for most albums in our house on vinyl, 3, but Cat Stevens and any blues records are bought whenever we see them.
Have you tried The Bookshelf for vinyls? you should. It's on Washington in Ogden.
We also love buying our new favorites. Zach and I even have Flaming Lips albums on vinyl in our collection. Love the crackle. :)
Thanks for sharing Jayne.
Jim, we totally rocked it in our refuge.
in fact we're still finding random places in that room that were painted with acrylic paint. and still trying to get rid of all the mardi gras beads :)
I'm pretty sure John Denver and James Taylor are my favorite. I still listen to them. And you guys were pretty much the coolest teenagers i knew. (Although i didn't really know any other teenagers... we didn't get out much. But still, you were great:) and still are)
I'm coming over for a singalong. Except, I kind of don't love the Beach Boys. I know. UnAmerican and everything. I don't like hot dogs, either. But somehow they still let me vote.
I also grew up with a record player and you are right...it is the best! We listened to "the Golden Oldie's" it was a 5 record set with tons of big hits. At Christmas time we had several great Christmas records that we listened too...Bing Crosby, Brenda Lee, the Chipmunks...It was great. I think one of my parents still has it all.
Post a Comment