Thursday, January 20, 2011

Best morning ever.

Oh WOW where to begin. Katie and I (and three kiddles) went to the COOLest exhibit this morning down at BYU. A whole bunch of Carl Bloch's original pieces are on display down there, and it was beyond amazing. 
Beyond, I'm telling you!
 Would you believe me if I told that these two behaved themselves?

Carl Bloch created these over 100 years ago, and I guarantee you've seen them around. This one for example?:
Gorgeous.
And so many more, but there were also a few I hadn't seen before, like this one:

 I cried when I saw it. I couldn't help it. The painting is massive, and displayed in a room by itself. So powerful.

Most of his paintings dipict the Savior's life and ministry, but there were other paintings as well - like this one of the woman feeding the birds, which I loved.

The exhibit has five huge Altar Pieces which travelled here from Denmark and Sweden for the exhibit. It is the first time they've left their native locations. There are also nearly 30 other pieces in the exhibit. Talk about a great opportunity to see them!

Can you believe his use of light in this one? Floored me.

The kids really enjoyed it too, which was neat. Although they also think the car wash is the coolest thing ever.


If you get the notion to drive down to BYU and check this out, you won't be disappointed. It's completely free, but you do need to get tickets. Check it out at the website here for all the info. Also, make sure to print off a parking pass - they have a special section marked off just for people who do and it's right up front!

Thanks for arranging it, Katie!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

stunning art work!

JoAnn said...

oooo... I want to go so much!

Hanna Banana said...

That is amazing! I want to go!

Unknown said...

Thanks for going with me! It really was amazing. I have no clue how he does that with the light. And thanks for letting me pretend Emmy was mine for a bit :-)

Becca said...

Wasn't that Gethsemane paining the most amazing thing? I'm so glad you got to get there.

Gr. Nette said...

So glad you go to see that, Jayne.
I was thinking it would be neat if
Kenz could also. But it will be over with by the time she gets back up here, I think. (ending on
May 7...Kenz coming in July to see her folks)