Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hello, old friend

The snow is all gone. 

Well, you know, the snow that was there all winter. The many new layers of snow that we have had since then have all melted too. Except for the one out there right now which fell last night. 

Just to clarify.
 On a particularly sunny day this week we wandered up to visit the secret garden.
Just looking through the fence was making us lonely for it, so in we went.

 "Peach Tree, will you grow please?"

The pretending began almost instantly. Secret Gardens are good for that.

 Garden work is new to Claire, as last year she was only big enough to silently observe. Or not so silently.
 She was silent in this case only because her mouth was full of rocks.
There is good nutrition to be found in rocks! I think.

Luckily for us, we didn't have to pretend for long. When Pete and Trena saw us playing out there they couldn't help but come out and play with us! A brief morning wander into the garden turned into an all day event, weeding tilling digging planting included.
 I really can't imagine a better landlord/tenant relationship. We need each other, like each other, and really enjoy spending time together. Weird.

When Pete came outside Emmy ran to him with outspread arms yelling "PETE!" He knelt down and scooped her up and said "Ahh... I know it's really spring when Emmy and I are in the garden again."
 And may I also mention how much I love Caleb's new 6-2 work schedule?  So nice to have him here more.
 We could only plant cold crop veggies; spinach, swiss chard, peas, things like that. Honestly, we could have been planting pebbles - we were all just so happy to be out there!

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if a few pebbles did get planted. The hired help is a little... imaginative.
There's nothing like dirt, seeds, and worms to put my kids (and their parents) in heaven.

P.S. The snow melted whilst I was typing this, so if you'll excuse me, my mud boots are waiting.

7 comments:

JoAnn said...

I can almost smell the dirt...

Amanda said...

I'm glad you gained your husband with this schedule, I lost mine. And I'm happy to see dirty hands and happy faces. :)
Peony bush went in at my house along with Lily's. Can't seem to get the vegetables in. I got flowers on my mind.

Camille said...

Wahoooo for spring! Is anyone doing the garden at home this summer??

Hanna Banana said...

Yay dirt! In my medical terminology class today we were talking about minerals and then we started talking about when kids eat rocks and the nutritional minerals in them so good job slaire!

Unknown said...

I don't even have a husband to lose or get to see more... Sob! ;-)

Can I please come help in your garden? I miss dirt. I need to dig.

Sue said...

You motiviated me to work in my yard yesterday. Even in the rain!

Hey, when is the Kepsel Four going to become the Kepsel FIVE? I think Claire counts by now:)

Gr. Nette said...

Do Pete and Trena read your blog?
If not, they're missing out on a lot of fun. You are so creative, Jayne, love it, love it.