Monday, May 30, 2011

I lurve him

I'm not really a huge facial hair fan. At least I wasn't, until the goatee. He's shaved one in a few times before, but it made him look too grown up and, dare I say it, sophisticated. So he'd shave it off again.
But, being as he turned twenty nine older today, I decided that he was mature enough for the goatee, and since I have the final say on what his face looks like, he did it. 

I promise that it's his idea that I decide on the current facial hair condition. "You're the one that has to look at it." Ok, that's true. I can go with that. 

 Getting him to pose for a photo was a whole different story. None of this "whatever you say, dear" business. It took me almost a week to get this photo, and wasn't it worth it? Pleh.

Then he smartened up and decided that getting between me and my blogging was a dangerous place to be.
Happy birthday, Caleb dearest. Your daughter looks like you, lucky little thing. 

 Have I ever told you about Caleb's Daddy-abilities? They're pretty phenomenal. He says it's because he and the kids are on the same maturity level. I say it's because he has no self consciousness. Because he has no need to be cool. Because he'd rather have his kids love him and want to be around him more than any one else. And they do. He doesn't just play with the kids, he plays like the kids. That is a skill.

Being a good Dad doesn't end with being able to play with your kids. It also includes protecting them from dangers, be they physical, spiritual, mental, emotional, what ever.

He might also throw in a little mental instability...
But no one has peed their pants yet, so I think we're still safe.

This guy works hard. He provides. He works to the point of pay raises and promotions and "what would we do without Caleb?" situations. There is a lot more to being a good provider than first meets the eye, and Caleb is a good provider.

Ok ok, Honey, I'm finished. Almost.
I also think that you are very good looking, and in the words of the butcher at Valley Market where I worked through my high school years:

"Looks aren't everything, but they sure help."

Amen.

6 comments:

Diana said...

Aw Jayne. I loave that you lurve him so much. Oh, and since I usually read your blog in reader this was my first time seeing the new blog design. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

To go along with the daddies-play-thing this is what was said (out of no where) as I was doing the laundry today.

Luke: Daddies don't do the laundry!
Mom: Oh. What do daddies do?
Luke: (After much reflection) Play!

Keep in mind that at that point in the morning Mac had already worked on patching walls and had moved on to fixing the mower.

Hanna Banana said...

Happy birthday brotha from another motha!! Sorry I'm not there to say it personally but at least you got your own birthday this year!
And please bless you just said pleh

Unknown said...

Happy birthday brother! You are an amazing dad, chokes me up a bit to watch my baby brothers become dads. So proud of you! And diggin the facial hair :-)

Becca said...

Hey, we sure like that guy, too. Happy Day.

zachary said...

Happy Birthday Middle-Brother.

Holbrook's said...

Happy late birthday! I hope you two had a blast on your date!!