June 20th came, bringing with it the first official day of summer.
Oh what do you do in the summer time?
When all the world is green?Do you run through the sprinklers?
And get sprayed in the face?
And learn to be brave, not mean?
Is that what you do? So does Tess.
"Did you just take a picture of my white legs?"
"Yes, yes I did. And you know I'm gonna blog it."
I promise that I don't try to take pictures of Lainey with food in her mouth, they just seem to turn out that way.
I love my boy. And also his determination to be a man.
And now on to the thing (one of the things) which has kept me away so much lately:
Potatoes.Confession: These are all the potatoes that were never dug up last fall - they're just growing again. Did that take much of my time? No.
Corn.
We went a little over board on the corn this year; tilling up a whole new plot for it, experimenting with different kinds, learning about heirloom vs. hybrid.
Stick around for the results, they're going to be intense.
Kohlrabi.
What exactly do you do with kohlrabi, you ask? You're askin' the wrong gal.
Peas, Spinach, Beets, Raddishes.
I'm showing you this particular bed because it's the only one where everything we planted is actually growing. We're super knowledgeable about gardening around here, and that is why we have such amazing crops.
I wish there was a symbol that I could put at the end of that sentence that meant 'sarcasm.'
Peaches.
These are a source of much anxiety. The leaves are finally growing, but the trees never flowered. There's a nagging thing in my soul telling me that this means they won't actually grow any fruit this year. So far I've managed to suppress it, but it's getting nearer to the surface every week.
Pray for us. And our green things. And our sunburns.


3 comments:
Oh Tessie, I'm so proud of you for manning up and making your somewhatwhitebutnonethelessgorgeous appearance on Jayne's blog.
I am also inspired by your garden. It is lovely.
And is that really Cal and Claire? For real? When did they get big? I can't handle it. At all. Someone stop them. I'm freaking out. Please, someone, knock some sense into those kids. Tell them they need to rewind and relive the past 10 months of their lives. Please? Do it for me? Thanks.
Kohlrabi is also known as German Turnip. I saw a chef use it on "Chopped". He used it in a salad, cut up small. Said it tasted like brocolli stem. You could have fun with this little vege. You're going to have three little brown indians very soon.
As you plant away I am busy at exactly the opposite task...ripping out the endless amount of weeds and flowers growing around here...I only wish I had time for edible goodness...maybe next year.
Post a Comment