Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cucumber Overload

In the springtime, when everything is just waking up and thawing out and soaking up the sunshiney rays and I'm out in my garden digging in the moist dirty freshness - I don't always think ahead to what it will be like when the garden is actually producing. Keep that in mind. 

I love cucumbers. Love. Their juicy sweetness brings me much happiness. So when I planted 5 cucumber plants I was just thinking how lovely it was going to be to have a cucumber whenever I wanted one! 
Pete loves cucumbers too. Sometime in the planting process, he said "Well, we have an extra whole section here, why don't you just fill it with cucumbers too and see what happens?" 

Want to know what happened? 

For the past 6 weeks we have picked an average of 30 cucumbers per WEEK. 
See that bag? With 10 cucumbers in it? It's headed to the neighbors. It's not the first one to head over there, I guarantee it.

We put these two on wash duty.

I don't know if the cucumbers are actually getting cleaner by putting them in the kiddie pool - but you can't see any dirt, so that counts.

After dropping off a pile on another neighbor's porch last week, Emmy said to me
"We should call us the Veggie Fairies!"

Don't worry, this long green thing which is about to meet it's dirty doom is not a cucumber. It's a zucchini.

Does anyone out there have any great ideas of how to eat cucumbers other than the usual on a salad, dipped in ranchy dip, or on a sandwich?
Better idea: Does anyone want a cucumber? I have some for you.

Don't even get me started on the tomato plants.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! Great post Jayne. That last pic of Bee is so cute. I miss having a garden!!!

JoAnn said...

Grandma Jane's Kicked Up Tomato and Cucumber Salad

1/2 lb thick-sliced peppered bacon
1 T bacon drippings
1 cup mayo
3 large tomatoes, diced
2 large cucumbers, diced
kisher salt to taste
freshly cracked pepper
1/4 tsp cumin

Cook, cool and crumble bacon. Save 1 T drippings. Mix drippings and mayo into the bacon crumbs; stir in tomatoes and cucumbers. Season to taste with salt, pepper and cumin. Chill for about an hour.

(I made without the bacon, added a little butter fat and yogurt. It was yummy. allrecipes.com)

karla said...

Bill popped a cucumber slice (from your garden) in my mouth a couple days ago. CANDY! and the 8 you gave us are gone! You grow'em good!Can't wait to get more. Growing up my mom sliced them and put them in a bowl coverd with garlic vinegar, salt and pepper. Still is comfort food for me.

Taylor and Mackenzie Nelson said...

Make pickles!
P.s. that last picture is just precious!