Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sometimes we play in the mud and call it exercise

So, you've heard of this, right?

It happens every year, in quite a few states. It's a 10k run which raises money for charities and stuff like that, and basically gives semi-normal people the chance to get really really muddy all in the name of exercise. 
(May I take a moment to admit that I just had trouble spelling 'exercise'? I'm usually a champ speller, but this one had me stumped for a minute. I'm choosing not to be disturbed, since when would I spell that word, let alone do it?)

ahem.

Sign Caleb up! 
 The Utah race takes place at Soldier Hollow in Midway, which happens to be very conveniently located to us.

It wasn't just Caleb who did it either, he roped his Dad and a few friends into it too. 

Caleb bruised one of his leg bones last week, so he was having doubts about whether or not he would enjoy the run. 
There was a cut-off which turned the 10k into a 5k which he was contemplating taking, just in case the run didn't turn out to be as fun as he was hoping it would be. 

His worrying was in vain. 
When they came out at the end, they were beaming with little-boyish "I just played in the mud for an hour and it was awesome" faces and were already planning next years race. 

Seriously. You should have seen this guy in the hall at church today, getting together a neighborhood team!

Whilst we were waiting (say that really fast) for the runners, I gave Jonah my camera, and what do you think he took photos of?
 His favorite doggy.
"Hi Daddy! Look, Utah's here!"

He even figured out how to work the zoom real good. 

So, back to the race, it's more of an obstacle course - with walls to climb over, hay bale mountains, a jaunt through Deer Creek Reservoir, giant water slides - the works, man!
 Oh, and a mud pit. A giant mud pit.

Right at the end.
 You don't actually have to roll around in it, but when they were halfway through it and only muddy from the knees down, Caleb decided that it was his obligation as 'Son' to tackle 'Dad' and take him down.
Don't worry, Dad got even.
They did eventually emerge, with mud in places that mud doesn't need to be.

 This one wasn't really sure what to think of it. Daddy looked happy, but why? Ew!

They opted out of the $4 warm shower, and went for the "free"-zing one instead - which was true to it's name. They were blue under the brown. 

But through it all - they couldn't stop smiling! 

So, here's the official invitation. Next year, our valley.
See you there!

4 comments:

Holbrook's said...

I'm not gonna lie...THAT. LOOKS. AWESOME! I think maybe I can rope Tait into it too!

Amanda said...

Zach and I will be there. I want in. If Leland wouldn't have been 'sickish' we would have had him in the Piglet Plunge!

JoAnn said...

I'm there!

Unknown said...

I'm in!