Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Get it done, Jayne!

Yes, I know I know! It's the day after thanksgiving and you're dying to see how it all went since the big dinner was at my house and how my rolls turned out delicious and how you can't wait to see how cute my table was, and you don't have anything else to do today but read my blog, Yes?!

Can I get a YES?

*crickets*


I have to post this last Zion post. This blog is for posterity, after all.
Then we will move on to those oh-so-important things.  

The last day we were there we were up way before the park opened again (thank you, toddlers) so we had a good breakfast and packed up the hotel room. We checked out, and headed out.

This little guy was working very hard near the visitor's center, storing up his supplies for winter and filling his hole with the loveliest of leaves. 

Once inside, the kids brought their completed Jr. Ranger books to the Park Ranger at the desk and she went over the books with them and asked them lots of good questions and they had a lovely chat. Then she awarded them with their pins, and they swore the Jr. Ranger oath to love the parks.

Then, because Caleb's parents are cute grandparents, they bought all four kids these ranger hats and they LOVED them. It was the cutest. I don't have a photo of all four wearing them! Sadness and tragedy!

By then the shuttle buses were running, so we all climbed on.
Whenever we mention going to Zion, this is the first thing my kids are excited about.
Emmy: "Yay! Zion National Park! And Jonah, we can ride the BUS!"

I can't blame them, the buses are actually really fun.

The windows are huge, and you get really nice views of the canyon as you cruise along.

They go to every single stop that a car can go to, but without kid car seat buckles! What's not to love?

We decided to ride the bus to the very top of the canyon in order to get the full bus-making-happiness.

Plus at the top of the canyon is the oh-so-gorgeous River Walk.

Claire was so happy to be in her spot again.

The colors were stunning.

Agreed?

Most of our time there was spent by the river, throwing rocks.

There's something magical about throwing rocks in a river, why is that? I lived next to a river when I was 6, and I clearly remember throwing rocks into it. My cousin Addison was visiting once, and we could not tear him away from it. I remember my Mom asking if he was still down there, and we'd always answer "yep"

What a trip. For real. It was hard to  get there, since there's always a million reasons not to go. We were worried about the weather, Jonah had a cough, yada yada yada. In the end, it all worked out great and we have no regrets.

Can't wait to go again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh i'm sad I didn't go! It is just gorgeous and so much fun with the munchkins. I love Zion so much, i feel the same way about it.

Amanda said...

While I was reading your narrative Leland stood beside me telling me all about the trip. I'm glad he'll have such nice memories with his cousins!

Hanna Banana said...

Jayne your family is so hard core! Love love love

gr.nette said...

That picture of Claire with grandparents Kepsel is just adorable. I love the "walking along" one also, thanks Jayne for sharing.