Saturday, November 05, 2011

So long, dear friend, until next spring

Realizing that we still had three rows of carrots left undug in the garden, and also realizing that this might be the last of our sunny-almost-warmish days, we headed out thursday morning to finish up our work.

Emmy was on camera duty again. Claire was on cute duty.

She was also very helpful when it came to taking the carrots and putting them in the big bowl. Big job!
It felt so good to be outside. The dirt is cool and moist, but not muddy. It felt soft on my bare knee through the hole in my jeans as I knelt to dig.

Claire's interest in the carrots only lasted a little while, then she was off to dig her own holes.

This is Jonah's "I'm really busy digging a hole here to plant my dead weed in but I'll smile real quick for a second" smile.
Bless him.

I eventually got all the carrots up, and Emmy handed over the camera so she could join her siblings in the dirt.

Emmy was bent on getting all the lettuce up for a salad, refusing to believe that it was bitter and slightly slimy.
She has heart, you gotta give her that.

For some strange baby hungry reason, when I stood in the gate and looked in at the garden, it reminded me of a woman who has just given birth. Strange, I know. Instead of waxing analogic (not a word), I'm going to let you figure that one out.

This garden gave us all she had this year, and we grew so much from her and her dirt and her weeds and her produce. 

And who says that veggies can't love you back?

2 comments:

Camille said...

I think I get your analogy, but I shall keep it to myself.

And that heart potato is friggin awesome.

gr.nette said...

I was going to ask whether that was a potato, but Cam answered it for me. And I love Jonah's slingshot carrot!