Thursday, February 23, 2012

Short stories, by Jayne

Story number one.
While shopping in Park City, we made a quick stop at Petco so Caleb could purchase a few crickets to feed to the mascot at work, which happens to be a Black Widow. I know. I don't understand either.
That evening, as the minions were getting ready for bed, the crickets began singing. We all gathered around them, starry eyed and sentimental, and reminisced about past camping trips.
After a little coaxing from the minions, we agreed to let the crickets spend the night in their room.
"Mom, it's like camping with bunk beds."  "I miss the stars."  "Mom, how about don't sing tonight, let's just listen to them sing instead."
And so, for the first time in 6 years, I sat quietly with my babies as they drifted off, which was fine, because my replacement was seriously talented.
I can't remember how we avoided the "these crickets are spider food" the next day when they left with Caleb. I don't think it came up. *whew*
Honestly, if crickets lived more than a few days, I wouldn't have let him take them.


Story number two.
We had the flu last week. On sunday morning, when I informed the kids that we would not be attending church, Jonah had some concerns.
"What if Brother W. thinks I'm dead?"
Jonah really loves his teacher.
"Will you send him a message and tell him I'm not dead?"
So, naturally, I did, and Brother W. was very relieved.


Story number three.
I have this pregnancy app on my phone, and every week it sends me a cute little picture showing me how big my baby is, and something it compares to size-wise. So far it's been lovely things like a grape, a kumquat, a lime. What new photo greeted me this morning? A shrimp! Ew! I almost lost it, I'm not gonna lie. Let's hope this week goes by quickly so I can stop picturing my little angelbabe as a skinless-looking sea creature.
I had to take a few deep breaths before viewing that photo. 


Story number four.
We received a few inches of snow, which is always cause for much celebration around here, so the minions geared up and headed out. 2 minutes later, three large neighbor boys stomped into our yard, and Emmy and Jonah almost passed out with joy.
We really love our neighbor boys, and for good reason.
It always amazes me how gentle they are with my littles, and how quickly they can shrug off their teenage coolness and get down and play. The youngest isn't a teen yet, but he's significantly older than my kids, yet it mattereth not. Kids are kids, I guess.


Story number five.
This story is also short, as is the main character. But don't worry, what she lacks in stature she more than makes up for in personality.


It's my Cami's birthday today, and I love her so much it's weird. I'm not saying that I love her more than my other 7 sisters, I'm just saying I love her.
She's leaving in a few weeks for Rome, and she'll be gone for a year and a half, during which time I won't be able to call her at any hour just to tell her that my finger hurts or that I just ate an incredible fish taco.
She's off to serve the Lord, and I'm so excited for her I can hardly stand it.
There is absolutely no doubt that I will miss her terribly, but the time will pass and I'm already looking forward to her letters.
I love you, Cambo, Happy Birthday! Sorry you had to share your post with a shrimp.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Cami!

Jonah story = priceless

Shrimp = fetus = hilarious! Not only is it that size...it pretty much looks just like that too! Ha! ;-)

Camille said...

The shrimp pic was much more appetizing than the cami pic.

Love you too :)

gr.nette said...

I don't know, I think I like the Cami shrimp better than the pink shrimp.

Love your short stories, Jayne.
Jonah comes up with the quirkiest little questions and sayings....brings me back a lot of years to when your mom was that age. oh so funny.

Tami said...

Love your blog Jayne! You bring such joy to life! Love the shrimp picture too, mostly because I love shrimp and diving!!! (and the resemblance to your baby is very similar!!) Also, congrats Cami on going to Rome on your mission. What an awesome thing for you. Good luck, I know you'll be a great Sister Missionary!!!
Love, Tami Creamer

JoAnn said...

I saw 2 shrimp in that post.

Holbrook's said...

I need these snippits into your soul like I need air...ahhh. It is good to have you back among the living and it was so so so so so good to see you all in my living room the other day. Lets do that again soon...perhaps with less tools involved next time! :)

Holbrook's said...

Oh ya and I love shrimp...