Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Let's put this backyard to use

Once upon a time, because it was Katie's birthday, and because it was Caleb's birthday, and because he might have turned 30 but who's counting, and because the weather was perfect, and because we had green grass and a grill and neighbor's with tables and chairs who like to share, and because my father-in-law is a grill master, and because I was determined to show Caleb that he does, in fact, have friends...
we had a barbecue. 

It's true! We really did! See? Pictures! Pictures by Tess, of course, because I was busy being busy. 

These are exactly the kind of pictures I wish I could take, you know? Exactly. They're perfection. I don't actually want to put forth the effort to learn how to do it myself, though, so I whine and beg her to grace every event that I'd like recorded. 
Luckily she likes to take pictures, and also likes to share them, and also likes me. 
It's very similar to the way that I convince her to finish every sewing project I ever start, cut my hair, give me fashion advice, and shampoo my carpets. 

This little's boys face? Also perfection.

The convincing Caleb that he had friends totally worked, thank you very much.

I've always had these unspoken fears that if I had a bunch of people over for a gathering they'd all sit around awkwardly and stare at the ground and the food would burn and I'd forget to make sure there was gas in the grill tank.

Turns out, when you have happy chatty friends like us, there's no need to be concerned about awkward silences. These people are so adorably cute I can hardly stand it.
And the grill ran! The whole time! Even though I did actually forget to check and make sure there was gas in the tank.
The birthday peoples were happy, the adult guests were happy,

and thanks to our landlord's bouncy house - the Kiddos were happy! 


Bouncy houses do have a tendency to cause trouble, but they have a greater tendency to cause smiles. 
And static.


And Katie has a tendency to attract children and cause many giggles.

And for those kids who were waiting for a turn in the bouncy house, there's always the rock wall full of lizards to provide endless hours of entertainment. 
I didn't realize this until recently, but my neighbors do not have the lizard colonies that we do. Isn't that strange? There are many rocky walls in my neighborhood, but they all say they're relatively lizard free. 
We love the little guys! There is not one spider to be seen in the whole rock wall that borders our long yard. It's the best, man. 

Oh, and there was a brief sighting of J. J. Coolness.
Until the little guy stole his sunglasses back from her, giving her that "you're odd" look.

Oh, and because Caleb doesn't eat cake,
I have to get creative. Last year it was oreos, this year it was watermelon.


And honestly, this was one of the best tasting birthday cakes I've eaten. I've never been so refreshed after eating cake!

So, like I said, thanks to the fact that people are happy and generous and friendly, back yard barbecues are not so scary after all. 

In fact, they're pretty fun.

Although, Caleb's last comment before collapsing into bed that night was
"That was really fun, thank you Jayne. Let's not do it again for a few years."

Bless his 30 year old heart:)

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Brava, Brava, Jaynie!

Just Jenne said...

You guys are just too cute!

Unknown said...

So fun! Thank you!