We had some gorgeous spring rain last week, with thunder and moody clouds and the works. I love those storms! Emmy and Claire spent a long time on the front porch listening to the clouds roar at them. Once it started raining hard Clairey came inside, but Emmy just put the blanket over her head and curled up to listen. The porch got soaked, but she stayed dry!

This photo doesn't have anything to do with the rest of this post. But look how long her hair is! Craziness.
She and I used to battle over brushing her hair, which is why I always chopped it off short. But recently she has been really good about brushing it herself, so the battling ended, so her hair got really long! And so thick!
Until the fateful day that she tried to climb into the laundry hamper in the hallway, which tipped over, which sent her headfirst into the vacuum cleaner which was also in the hallway, which split her head open and much blood and pain was the result.
Once I finally got all the blood out of her hair, I decided that the cut wasn't bad enough for stitches. I'm the Mom, I can make calls like that, right? But between all the ooze, the antibiotic ointment, the comfrey salve, and other such things that were coating her head over the next few days, we were spending a lot of time right here at the kitchen sink. Washing, combing, applying healing balms.
When she was up running around, every time her heavy hair moved it hurt.
We couldn't put it up into a ponytail because of the location of the cut.
In short? It was an interesting few days. She eventually said "Mom. Just cut it off. Make me look like Rapunzel with her brown hair."
Do I sound like I'm trying to justify something? Maybe I am. I loved her hair as much as the next person. But really? It's just hair. It grows, and in her case very quickly. I have little attachment to hair, I've donated to 'Locks of Love' six times!
Rapunzel? You got it!
Bonus: her hair was long enough to donate! Also, so thick that we got three ponytails out of it. One little girl who has lost her hair to cancer is going to be so happy to have Emmy's curls!
We mailed it off, but only after we played with it a bit. Is that weird?
Ok then, we're weird.

Good bye curls, hello easy summer hair-do!


1 comment:
Emmy! I LOVE your new hairdo! Makes me want to cut mine again. I love you girl!
Aunt B.
Post a Comment