Monday, April 01, 2013

When it's spring time in the rockies...

In the spring time, when the snow is melting and the earth is beginning to stir, 
We dig in the dirt wearing funny hats and polka dot pants.

And we take our babies outside to get some fresh spring air and a little vitamin D.

And we dress in nothing but a hat and hang out in laundry baskets. I'm using the term "we" very loosely here. Don't worry.

And when it snows the next day we trade in our sunglasses for snow clothes and play outside anyway.

Because the snow will all be melted the next day and we can wear funny clothes again.

And the kids talk their Mom into letting them dye easter eggs, because she's a sucker for things like that. 

Why, Amelia? Why do I let them talk me into this every year? At least this time we did it on Friday instead of Saturday. The rainbow colored fingers had faded before church on Sunday. Bonus!


If only my kids liked eating hard boiled eggs. We'd be in business.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Emmy decided that we needed a springtime wreath. I completely agreed with her, but doubted I'd be going to a store any time soon, and even once I was there I would have to pay for one, and that just rarely happens. So she took matters into her own hands.

Usually one of her projects begins with something like "Mom. Please I need paint, egg cartons, and I need you to glue gun stuff for me." And I try not to tell her what to do or how to do it or guess in advance what creation is simmering in her mind, and I try to fade in to the background and watch and see what comes.

This time, however, we were inspired by a wreath on pinterest, so I had a vague idea of where she was going with it before she began. I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty sure I have the best spring wreath in town.

I want to keep it forever and ever.

The Kimball Art Center Student Art Exhibit is coming up again, and she's already preparing this year's piece. I'm not going to tell you what it is yet, but I will tell you that it's about half way done and I love it. This one came completely completely out of her own brain, and I'm floored. I usually have at least two cents involved, but not this time. 

I will tell you that the piece began as one of these giant balloons:
But the finished piece won't have a spec of balloon in it. So stoked. 
                                                                                        

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Sooooo jealous of the Spring Wreath!