Monday, February 24, 2014

A new discovery

There we were, looking for something fun to do in the beautiful (if smoggy) city of Salt Lake. It's not often that we find ourselves there with no schedule to stick to, but such a thing happened today. We went down to get our taxes done this morning, but it was such a gorgeous sunny day that I wanted to do something fun while we were down there! Not that getting our taxes done wasn't fun. ?

I had been wanting to take my kids to the LDS Church Art Museum to show them some of the art by our Great Great Great Grandpa C.C.A. that they have there. I put enough in the parking meter to give us an hour, because I figured that would be plenty of time to see a few paintings (foolish!) and we headed inside.

Little did we know. 

After exploring the beautiful church history exhibits and seeing the paintings and climbing in the bunks of the passenger ship exhibit, we were informed that there was a children's exhibit upstairs. So up we went to check it out. 

OH MY GOODNESS.

It was AWEsome. I had no idea it was there or we definitely would have come before. This is a "Nephi's Ship" play place.


Amelia wouldn't go in the ship, but she thoroughly enjoyed the ocean.

It was basically a children's museum, but based on the Book of Mormon and the History of the church. 
Here Claire is preparing a dinner to feed to the missionaries.

Emmy is gathering eggs on the pioneer farm.

Jonah's mixing tunes from members around the world. 

Special Delivery!

Claire and Amelia were loving the garden area. You had to find the right shape to plant the different vegetables in - adorable. 

And here we have the beginnings of an ancient Mesoamerican city.

Until the gymnast decided it had stood long enough! 

Touch screen computer games, naturally, and Claire is practicing her abridging of the plates. 

We only had about 25 minutes left of our one hour by the time we got up to this exhibit, which was seriously tragic. We didn't get to see it all, which only means we will be returning! And get this: it's free. I know!! 

We drug ourselves away and headed back to the car, only barely making our time allotment.

We finished up our day in Salt Lake with a trip to Trader Joe's to restock our chocolate supply. 

That, I tell you, was a near perfect day. 

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

I love it when life brings new experiences, and chocolate!

Holbrook's said...

I had no idea!! We will be checking that out soon!