Remember this house? This is one year ago.
This house, and the family who lived in it, had seen some hard years. Here we are to love you, house!
One year. We've lived here for one year! It's been good, it's been crazy, it's been educational!
We moved in with a remodel budget, lots of energy, and a little bit of vision. After two exhausting days of moving, we were ready to begin!
After a bit of Bat removal, that is.
Good-bye neglected wintery yard.

Hello kid-loved summer yard!
Good-bye dingy (din·gy ˈdinjē adjective; gloomy and drab) walls, carpet, and vinyl lettering.
New paint, base board, wood floors, crown moulding, etc.
I probably should have tidied up before taking these photos, but who am I to fool the world? We live here. Ironing board in the living room? You bet. I'm making curtains. Cub Scout stuff in the chair, sunglasses and violins on the hutch. I don't show you these photos to prove that I am an interior designer - because I'm not. I show you to show myself that the last year of effort has actually created something!
See? Sewing machine. In the living room. The library was nearly finished.... then I redesigned it. Which means new curtains.
Is it bad to redecorate before you finish decorating the first time? If so, I'm bad.
Good-bye 16 year old gray berber carpet. You were awesomely reminiscent of my childhood home, but my Mommy got rid of you in her house years ago. For a reason. Love you, bye.
Not that berber is bad! It was the age issue. That's all.
Hello still under construction hallway! The baseboards can't go up until the last strip of floor is laid, and that can't be laid until we start the kitchen. It's crazy how house things overlap and link together. But it's totes ok! Still fully functioning, doesn't bother me. That's a new front door, with side windows, installed by Caleb and his Papa. Those are Katie's new cabinets for her bathroom upstairs. Oh! Spoiler!!! Katie moved in!!! So much to tell you about that, and it's all awesome. It needs its own post, freals.
Lets go upstairs.
Good-bye even-scarier-than-gray-berber-carpet! Good-bye holes in the walls, and more vinyl lettering. Jonah, you stay.
Good boy! Hello new carpet, repaired wall, fresh paint! Also tools in the middle of the floor downstairs. This is our life.
Out went the carpet and pad, down went the KILZ paint, repair repair went the walls, flex flex went Caleb's muscles.
Jonah's room looked exactly like the pre-girl-room shot. Dingy walls, yucky carpet. Not no mo!
Jonah! You forgot to make your bed!!
My bedroom isn't finished yet (structurally it is, furnishings are still being remodeled) but this photo shows you my favorite updates. Two tone blue walls and ceiling, with white trim. Crown moulding, a ceiling fan, and my curtain and mirror creations. This room shows me that I can think outside of the box, at least a little bit, and makes me want to do it more!
The back yard was crying. It had asthma and was dying a horrible and slow suffocating death.Ew.
It still isn't perfect, but it's a whole lot better! No more sticky bushes, no more deadly swingset. Soft grass, playground, garden boxes, and a flock of happy kids!
We still have a long way to go, but it's coming! And we don't have a deadline. That's lovely.
We couldn't do any of it without the help of these worker kids;
Claire,Jonah,
Emmy,
and Amelia.
Also Jojo. Also Papa and Lala and Katie and Tess and Cami and at least 50 other advisors and helpers.
XOXO to all of you!
Looking ahead; we have a shop to build first and foremost. Then we'll head to the mudroom/laundry room project (it's going to be huge, man) then the kitchen, bathrooms, add a few windows, take out a door, build a deck, etc. This is not all going to happen this year, but it's the list!
Let year number two begin!



4 comments:
I love Jayne's house :) Caleb's house is a little nutty. They're both ok.
I just love all that you guys have done!! So so so much work!!!
Bravo! Molyedets!
Your color choices make your home look so happy!
Post a Comment