Thursday, January 07, 2010

Miracles happen at my house

Humor me for a minute, ok?
My eternally brave Mother in Law bought me a sewing machine for my birthday.
Those of you who know me too well: Stop Laughing! I CAN sew! Kinda.
Ok fine, I happen to be the world's most incapable seamstress, but I'm working on it. Caleb has offered many times to get me one, and I've threatened him many times that he had better not or else. Or else what I have no idea, just Or Else!
My MIL was not aware of these threats, and she bought me one and when I opened it I seriously almost started crying I was so excited! Isn't that weird? Okay so I'm pregnant and I cry for weird things, but this made me so happy! Caleb was a little miffed that I was so happy to get one when he's offered so many times, but I didn't know that I wanted one until I had one!
Am I a complicated woman or what?
I was positive that I wasn't, but apparently I am.
Any ways, not only do I now own a beautiful sewing machine, but I've actually used it. Twice now. Once to make my older Brother a superman cape for Christmas (yes he's 29. That's a different story) and now I've used it again: to make the cape scraps into mini capes for the kids!
I'm very diverse in my sewing projects, turns out.
I know what you're thinking: Capes? Is this supposed to be amazing?
This is amazing. For me, this is amazing.
And they love them! "Super Emmy" and "Super Jonah" have been tearing around the house being "Super" for 2 hours now!
I even made the ties, you guys. This is the real deal. Like as in I folded a strip in half, sewed it, and turned it inside out with a safety pin. I don't remember for sure why I knew how to do that, but some where in my life when my incredibly gifted seamstress Sister was battling her way through an attempt to get me to sew something, she probably showed me.
I know that it's silly, but this is not my comfort zone. But now I want it to be. That's definitely a step in the right direction.
Keep trying Mother dear! You will make a domestic out of me yet!

6 comments:

Diana said...

They're gorgeous! Honestly I think half the battle is figuring out the threading and the tension.

Becca said...

You are amazing. SuperJayne! Great work. Happy-making capes.

JoAnn said...

It's possible your mother may have taught you something...

Jayne said...

Mother, that's the closest I've ever heard you get to sounding wounded.
Of course you taught me something. Why do you think I have such perfect children? Because I'm raising them just like you raised all your perfect kids!
(hehe)

Everything that is furthering my path to eternal glory I learned from you. I consider that more important that my crafty skills.

Jayne said...

Not that my Mother in law isn't helping further my path to eternal glory.

Could Someone Please Get Me a Shovel?

Unknown said...

tehe :-)