Wednesday, April 14, 2010

We Read

We like to read around here.
I've been asked for it before, and I honestly wish that I had the secret formula that makes kids want to read. But I don't!
There isn't a fail proof method, but we have certainly taken steps to encourage their love for books and stories.
Plus, this is my first time being a Mom and all - so everything that works out great was an accident. One way, though, is to TRICK them into it by not owning a TV!
(Sinister Cackle)
Just give them nothing else to do!
That was how I was raised, and it worked for us. Caleb and I decided when we were first married that we were not going to own a TV, although we do watch the occasional movie on our computer.
The other big thing (I think?) is the quantity and quality (that being of my own opinion of course) of kid's books we own. It was just one of those rare things that we decided was okay to spend money on.
When I say 'spend money' I'm referring to the many wednesday mornings that I've spent digging through the kid's books at the thrift store - where the kid's books are rarely more than 50 cents. They're actually priced higher than that, but the cute gals at the register won't ever charge me full price. Who knows why - it's not like 50 cents is much to pay for a good Mercer Mayer!
Also picking up just one $3 book each time you go in the bookstore really adds up to a lot of books! Berenstein Bears, Little Critter, Curious George, and lots more of those little classics are not expensive if you only buy one at a time.
PLUS my family is crazy when it comes to books too. Both sides. We acquired over 100 new kids books this last Christmas.
Is this a little crazy? Yes - but we're grateful:)
And, if they're reading, don't interrupt. No matter how odd their selected location may be.
And now for the latest book-loving gift: Amanda made them their own library bags! As in sewed the bags, and stitched (is that called cross stitch?) the little people on the front of them.
Do you know how long this would have taken me? The rest of my life - because I would have started and never finished. That's how long. But Amanda, she's different. She finishes projects. I should take lessons.
And learn how to cross stitch. The kids LOVE them. They loaded them up yesterday afternoon and have been reading their latest finds ever since. And they're very protective of them too.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

You're doing all the right things to raise readers. I wish I could read to them more often.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

My favorite part is the velcro shut tops, they can drop those bags completely full and hopefully it won't lead to a mess. :) They were really easy to make. (The bag pattern is on LDS.org.)
I'm glad they love them! but I'm more glad that they needed them!
And yes, it's called cross stitching, I'm a little addicted. Don't tell anyone but i'm already working on Christmas.

hailee said...

Your basement is coming along! And yes you guys do love to read! Thats good tho, hope Preslee loves to read. Me on the other hand, I don't like reading but I do love to read little kid book :)

Gr. Nette said...

How absolutely adorable....