Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dirt, Glorious Dirt!

Around here, we like dirt.
I was sneaking photos of my kids yesterday as they played in the dirt on the hill.
I'm serious. I was hiding behind the log pillar on the porch and stealing quick photos when they weren't looking.
Everything changes when they know you're watchin.
Like they remember that they needed a drink/snack/band-aid.
They discovered this spot of beautiful earth when we were planting potatoes in it last week, and have been spending quality hours out there.
So far the potatoes haven't been dug back up, but I'm not holding my breath.
I love that the tractors found their way out there too.
Jonah had to head inside for more tractors, and stood there reassuring Emmy that he'd be right back. He wanted her to be a little more concerned about it than she actually was. After 3 or 4 minutes of him standing there saying "I'll be right back, Em!" she finally looked up and said "Okay" which made him feel much better about leaving her.
And he really came right back!
Who needs a rototiller when you have willing kids with little shovels?
I'm not positive what world they were imagining in out there. I think the tractors were building roads.
And now, since I know you've been home gnawing your fingernails off in anticipation of when my basement will be finished (as I have been): An Update! The basement project took a 4 week break, but is now back in full swing. Basically because Caleb told Pete that he (and Jonah) could finish it themselves and Pete told him to go right ahead. So they are.
Bless their handy little hearts. I love the sounds of construction, have I mentioned that before? I really do. Never apologize for the noise of your nailgun/air compressor/saw/drill!
The shelving was finished yesterday, today the doors are going in, the plan is to have all the trim done this week... Pray for us.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

I dug in the dirt yesterday too! I'm sure I didn't accomplish as much as they did, though.

Caleb said...

Yea mom but you dig in the dirt to drink it.

Diana said...

Jonah is just heart breakingly adorable.