Monday, June 14, 2010

The Secret Garden

Emmy has decided that Pete's Garden is like the Secret Garden, since "it has a wall around it, and it grows things!"
"And I'm Mary and Jonah's Dickon!" Emmy and Jonah don't have to want to be gardeners 'when they grow up'. They're gardeners right now. Emmy's our self-appointed guardian of the worms. Caleb's the official weed plucker. And Pete is officially the most patient 60 year old man I know.
Emmy spent (and this is not an exaggeration) (in case you thought I was the type to do that) from 9:30a.m. to 7:00p.m. outside working in the garden today. Jayne: "Emmy, you like hangin' out with Pete?" Emmy: "Yep."
Jayne: Is he kinda like having another Grandpa?"
Emmy: "No, he's my friend!" The Secret Garden is beginning to come alive. Look at these baby peaches! I'm craving them already. The spinach is doing great too - in fact Emmy added some to her cheese sandwich that I brought out to her today, much to Pete's amusement. These two dorks are absolutely no help at all, but we like them any way. Don't ask me why.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

I could use some diggers around here!

Holbrook's said...

so fun. Such great life lessons are learned in the garden!