Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Guilty Pleasure

We try to live pretty green at our house, and we have for as long as we've been "We."

We cloth diaper. 
We garden organically. 
We heal infections with mashed garlic foot rubs.
I won't go into the details of what this made my entire house smell like for a week.
I really love me some Garlic, but not in these concentrated amounts. Although for how great it worked on the infection, we'll take it. 

We recycle plastic, paper, cardboard and metal. 


That was all an explanation for why my guilty pleasure is actually, for me, a guilty pleasure. 

Raise your hand if you hate dusting. 

(raising hand)

I have never been a duster. True story. If it ever got bad enough (bad enough that I actually noticed it) then I'd damp a cloth and do the job.


That said, I introduce to you my bookshelf. What was I thinking? I LOVE the stain on the wood, but dark? Really Jayne? You don't dust! What was the thought process here? It has been a dust magnet since the day it darkened my doorway.



But what is this? I see books actually reflecting in it's glossyness here.
The dust solution came, and it came in a lovely yellow box (which I recycled, hehe). 

Gone are the days of dusty bookshelves! I'm telling you, these little guys have changed my life. I hate throwing them away, and I love throwing them away. When I look at how shiny my bookshelves are, I forget all about the landfills and eat ice cream instead. 

Sometimes you have to do that to maintain sanity. When you have as little sanity left as I do, you have to make sacrifices to preserve it. 

5 comments:

Diana said...

I didn't know you weren't a duster either! I can't even put my finger on what makes me loathe it so. It's the one chore I told Mac he is in charge of forever because I won't do it. Luckily I think Luke is a duster because it just doesn't get done as of right now. Luckily I bought white bookshelves (I never thought about what a fortunate purchase that was till now) so hopefully no one will notice until Luke is tall enough to reach the high shelves.

JoAnn said...

It took me a while to embrace the whole Swiffer thing - but you're right - sanity is more important than worrying about landfills!

Taylor and Mackenzie Nelson said...

Oh my I don't think I'm a duster either and I've learned that by consistently finding rediculous amounts of dust on surfaces in our home. Maybe I'll invest in some swiffer dusters myself. By the way Jayne, someday I would love to see your house, I just love the decorating and everything. LOVED the shelves and how you filled them, looks like something in a magazine!

Holbrook's said...

Mine is wipes...clorox...baby...any type...I use them so fast! For EVERYTHING. I think wash clothes are disgusting so I never clean T's face with them...always a baby wipe!! I will have to look in to the swiffers...maybe then I would dust more than once a month, Ok it is like every two months!! :)

Gr. Nette said...

This has turned into a commercial
blog site? hmmmmmmmm