Thursday, October 28, 2010

Clarification

I don't hate halloween. Hate is a powerful word, and I'm not sure that I could honestly use it to describe anything, even this holiday.
Halloween is a large part of our culture, and we don't avoid it completely; just the not-so-happy parts. We skip the scary, mostly dead, bloody, gory, all-things-evil parts and go straight to the make-believe, harvest time, autumn weather, play dress-ups parts.

Luckily we're not alone in our doings - the Treehouse Children's Museum in Ogden is with us all the way.

They put on a little shin-dig called "The Enchanted Woods" that we love. It's completely non-scary and based on classic fairy tales. 

Lainey joined us 'cause she's pretty much our favorite.

Super Jonah made an appearance. Just wait - I'm sure you'll get some more photos after this weekend. I've heard rumors that Super Caleb will be joining him. You didn't hear it from me.

We call this outfit "Ballerina with an attitude". 

Does she have socks on under her tights?

She can't decide whether to be a Fairy, a Princess, or a Ballerina - her latest idea is to be all at once. 

Inside they were first Knighted by King Arthur, who sent them on a quest to find the Golden Rose. They met Robin Hood, Snow White, The Miller's Daughter (they told her rumplstiltskin's name - she was very grateful), Dorothy and the Scarecrow, then Long John Silver
  
Who sent them to Anansi the Spider, then the Three Little Pigs, then Humpty Dumpty
who was 'cracking' jokes like you wouldn't believe (she was super funny), then they met Mary and her Little Lamb, then it was into the Castle to meet Sleeping Beauty and the Knight who was determined to find a way to wake the princess up without kissing her because "That's Disgusting!"
He was adorably hilarious. The kids eventually convinced him to kiss her, but he made them close their eyes because he was so embarrassed. The kids Loved it.
And guess what she had?! The Golden Rose of course. King Arthur was thrilled when we told him.

They also got a little prize from each character and thoroughly enjoyed going through their spoils afterwards. 
Thank you Treehouse! I've loved you since I was a little critter going through the enchanted woods myself.

Another happy-halloween activity coming up tonight: Pumpkins!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I've never been to the treehouse museum, but I've always heard it's pretty cool! I love Emmy's pose. Ha ha!

Holbrook's said...

You can sooooo count me in next year!!! That looks awesome!!!!

Tess said...

Emmy's totally workin those tights (and socks)