Wednesday, December 15, 2010

You better not pout I'm tellin' you why...

Best Christmas Party Ever.
Monday night, while Caleb was in his final last final of the semester, the kids and I drove down to Salt Lake to see Zachary and Amanda's new home and have a little Christmas party with them.

Little did we know the joys that awaited us.
First of all, dinner. I love dinner. You want to feed my kids? Great!
Then Amanda's family arrived bearing trays of goodies, so Jonah was good for the duration.

The kids were playing, I'd even say they were playing Merrily, when outside the front door came the sound of Jingling Bells! And who should pop in?
The big man himself! Yes. It's true. Santa dropped by to say hello. And he knew all their names.

The kids faces were priceless.
Emmy ran to him. Literally. He scooped her right up and all her doubts about whether or not he existed were immediately swept away.

"Ho Ho Ho! Hello Emmy! Have you been good?"

He even brought the Misses. Leland and Amanda sat right down so Leland could tell him what he's been wanting. He watches The Polar Express regularly, and he has been wanting to ask Santa for a bell.
And you know what? Santa had one for him.

Then Emmy hopped up there and he pulled out a bag for her.

And he had a bell for her too!

Would Jonah do it? Would he sit on Santa's lap?
No hesitation. After seeing the other two do it, there was nothing left to be afraid of.

Claire even liked him, and she's being picky about who she likes these days.

Photo Op! Is this not the cutest little family? I love them.
I can't tell them how grateful I am for this little party. I'm so glad they wanted to share Santa with us!

Shall I tell you the secret? Okay, I will. My kids won't read this until they're grown, right?
Santa is Amanda's Uncle. He and his Wife do this professionally, obviously (they were perfect) and he had an hour available and asked if he could drop in. So she called me! How lucky are we? He memorized their names, and Amanda left the little bags with the bells outside for him to pick up. All in all, so completely thoughtful of them. This may have been life changing for my littles.

Aren't they the cutest? I just loved them.

As Santa was leaving, and about to go out the door, Jonah ran to him and put up his arms.
Is this my child? My shy little Jonah?
Santa scooped him up, and they stood like this and pondered each other for a minute.
"Oh, I like you. You are a sweet boy, Jonah." said Santa.

After many waves and Merry Christmas's, they were gone. But they only made it to the next house, where there was a windowful of kids watching. The Mom stuck her head out the front door and asked if they would mind stopping in, and so they did! These are good people.

Then the kids played some more! These guys just moved up here from Green River, and it's been a long dry spell of not seeing them very often. We're so glad they're close again.
Jonah says every hour or so "Leland is my best friend."
Cousins need each other.

Thank you thank you thank you. 
What is it about people doing nice things for my kids that gets me so much? 


5 comments:

Unknown said...

This post may of made me cry...i'm admitting nothing though.

Especially Jonah and Santa. Jonah really is a sweet boy. And I love that Jonah loves Leland so much! That is darling. Amanda your aunt and uncle are so cool! What a wonderful thing for you to do. Just lovely.

I WANT KIDS!!!!!!

Amanda said...

No, thank you! Half the fun was sharing that special night with people we love. :)

Camille said...

Soooo much the cutest! That one totally got me. And I'm glad you explained the origins of this Santa, because you really had me on the phone when you wouldn't tell me the rest of the story because Emmy was standing by you. LOVE IT!

JoAnn said...

Amanda Wins!

Becca said...

Love. Once upon a time, Santa came to our house - really, a few years in a row. And my kids had NO IDEA that he was Brother Paulsen from our ward. His costume is magnificent, and he knew everyone's names. Brilliant. Generous. Happy-making. Yea for Santa.