Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's a routine thing

When I was a little lass growing up in a home-schooled family of 8, my Mom found a little tinkling of sanity by making job charts for each one of us. We had to complete them each morning before we went to our various daily activities, which consisted of anything from hiking to the pond, wearing dress-ups around in the woods pretending to be orphans/runaways/giants/royalty, skiing at the neighborhood ski resort, planting peas (we did this all summer long) (all over the place) or going to the Library. 

So any ways, now that I'm the boss I get to make job charts for my kids too. 
 The weird thing is - they love them! Something about a regular routine every morning I think.
It's not like they're hard though, really. Just things they should be doing anyway. This blue one is Jonah's.
And here's Emmy's. She decided that she should be drawing her own pictures now, since she's way into that sort of thing. As long as she knows what the pictures are, we're good.

This is Emmy attempting to spit after brushing this morning. My kids can't spit. Have you ever met kids who couldn't spit?
Plus I had just brought my camera in from the car and the lens was foggy. Thank goodness for forgiveness. 

Getting dressed. This kid kills me. Could he back off the cuteness for a minute so I could discipline him every once in a while? You know, in case he needed it.

And "school work" which usually consists of work books, but occasionally is more of a craft time. Like this morning, when we made new felt animals for the noah's ark quiet book. That counts, right?

Yesterday, after finishing the charts, we were all enjoying a small (relatively) piece of dark chocolate as our reward. Emmy was looking at me with a ponderous look. After making a decision, she stated
"Mom? I think you need a chart too."

Maybe I was in my robe. Maybe I hadn't brushed my teeth yet. Guaranteed I hadn't picked up my toys.
What would I do without an oldest daughter to keep me in line?

3 comments:

Camille said...

Be sure to add "floss" to your chart too.

Holbrook's said...

hahahaha!!! Love this, I can totally see little Emmy realizing that Mommy also needs a chart!! I know I do!!

JoAnn said...

I hope your kids are happy with just a small piece of chocolate as a chart prize for a long time - I'm still living with that Christmas Cactus chart prize that Cami got 12 years ago!