Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What? Again? In the same year?

I can't even believe this is happening. I am about to blog about skiing for the second time this week. What?! I know! Exclamation point for that!

Tess called me last night to inform me that it would only be $5 for me to ski if I came in the morning, and Emmy's still free cuz she's little, and we ski on a budget around here, so this morning we packed and drove over! 
We were greeted by an unusually large dog named Tank.
Hi Tank. Watch the upholstery. You're adorable. I love you.

 Emmy and Tess took off pretty quick, and the 4 babies and I stayed at my Mom's.
 Ready to go! Midget skis are the cutest.
It's all about the princess helmet cover, right? Made all the difference.

Power Snowplow! You go girl!

 It's so funny to see her skiing here on my own home turf. I skied here when I was the same size as her. They didn't have this fancy magic carpet lift thing way back then, but I managed. Something along the lines of riding up with my Dad and holding onto his pole the whole way down. It worked.

They skied for a couple hours, then came home for lunch and then it was my turn!
We of course had to do the classic photo-of-yourself-on-the-chairlift-photo, but Emmy was very interested in something going on below us.
 And she had just eaten an oreo.
We only had a little bit of time because Tess had to get back to teach a lesson, so we did the real lift just once, then played on the magic carpet some more.

Emmy has skied since she was 2, but this is the first year that she has begged to go, and truly loved it. Know what I mean? Of course a 2 year old is going to like sliding down a snowy hill, but now she really loves to Ski. Totally different.

One more shot in the parking lot:
She was smiling right up until the shuttered... uh... shuttered. (?) "It's too bright, Mom!"

So that was grand and good, and after Tess' lesson she came home and Hanna and I went back for a couple runs on "The Big Lift."
When there's only two lifts at the resort you can get away with calling them "The big lift" and "The little lift." 
Hanna's 10 years younger than me, and by the time she learned to ski my Dad had passed on the teaching responsibility to me. She and I were laughing at the memories of me teaching her to ski when she was 6, and she remembered that she had a photo from the day I taught her. And she found it for me!
That's her! 11 years ago! And that's me up the hill behind her. She totally rocked. And I'm so glad that I'm not any closer in the photo because I was STY-LISH in those days. I tell you what.
Way back then, when we were so young and immature, we had a repertoire of songs that we would sing on the long ride up, and we may or may not have sung them again today. Loudly.
So fun. So so so fun.

Thanks again, Tessie Mo Messie. You make skiing possible for this boring old lady.


7 comments:

Hanna Banana said...

pretty sure i love this post.:) I'm so glad Emmy loves to ski!! I have loved it ever since you taught me. Who would've thought you could go skiing 11 years later and still sing the same funny songs on the lift at the top of your lungs and ski down the same runs. Good times Jayne, good times :)

Camille said...

Nice goggs, Jan

Holbrook's said...

Love it!

Nordic Valley ward Young Women said...

What songs?!

JoAnn said...

No, that was MOM asking what songs. Thanks for signing into Google on my computer, Tess

Jayne said...

Thank you cami, they're caleb's goggs and the only ones that will fit over my glasses. So cool right now.

We sang 'weenie man', ' on top of the world' by the carpenters, ' nordic valley dreamin' (our version of california dreamin') and that's all.

Hanna Banana said...

I am so glad that Emmy has taken on the tradition of wearing a one piece and a helmet cover. So great.