Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Flowers, Rain, and Pretzels

Remeber when I told you that I was struggling with patience in my garden? Waiting for my Day Lilies to bloom? 
Well. 
After sitting near them daily and coaxing and encouraging and begging and threatening they finally did it!
They really socked it to me. I honestly thought that they would all be that orangey yellow color. You know, Day Lily color!

They're not. 
They're even better.

 I mean, look at these girls! They're showing off.

 Call me crazy, but when ever I look at this one I have a strange and strong urging in my soul to eat it.

This one is my favorite. It's the most delicately colored, don't you think? The pale pinkish lavender with the ruffles of yellow? I'm smitten. I want to wear this flower. I want a dress that looks like this flower. 

The peas gave a great showing this year, as you can always count on them to do. Peas and radishes. If you want to grow a garden that will make you feel successful in your efforts, grow peas and radishes. They won't fail you.

 We have another fresh peas fan at our house.
 She successfully downed somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,216 peas last night.

 This is a cosmo. They grow really easily too, and they'll come back in swarms the next spring. Isn't this photo kinda strange? Looks like the flower's just floating there. Huh.

*wake up*

 The marigolds were a little disappointing, I'm not gonna lie. These are a few of the only pretty ones. Maybe because they lived in tiny little pots in my front entry way for two months while I was waiting for the weather to stop freezing. I think I'll skip them next year.
Maybe.
Maybe I'll try again. You never can tell with me!

And this is an onion. I planted it 3 years ago, and I like the tall shoots with the little fluffy flower at the top so much that I never pick it, I just let it grow back each year. 
I never said I was normal.

An enormous wall of black clouds rolled over the mountains in the afternoon, and although they did their best to look ominous and menacing, they really only looked cool and refreshing and lovely. 

 They sent out a wonderful shower which greatly added to the loveliness of our outdoor playings.
Emmy had a piece of chalk in her hand, and when it started sprinkling she exclaimed
"Mom! The clouds are making me a giant dot to dot!"

 I'm going to tell you that this is Cookie Monster, although I'm sure you knew that just by looking at it.

The rain was also nice enough to make her a Big Bird dot-to-dot, which she was very grateful for. I even stopped taking pictures of my flowers long enough to document it! Wasn't that thoughtful of me?
"Oh, what? Huh? Kids? Oh yes. I'm growing some of those too. Ok."

Then, once we were sufficiently soaked, we went inside for a pretzel snack.
And Emmy made this.

Because she's brilliant.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous flower pics! But you didn't show your specialty...snaps! :-)

I was worried when i saw the post title that there were going to be pictures of me in the rain with the kids...thank you for sparing us! You can delete any of me as Mr. Hair as well. Thank you. Good night.

And Emmy really is brilliant. She has a bright future as a pretzel artist ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh and I could totally make you shoes that look like that last flower. Just saying...

Holbrook's said...

Brilliance through the generations...Oh ya I am straining to look over the mountain of laundry in front of me right now so as to do something so much more meaningful with my time...read your wonderful blog! Thanks for the distraction from the mundane. I absolutely love the flower pics...and I totally don't have any of those lovely purple ones, nor have I ever seen any like that! Beautiful.