Saturday, October 29, 2011

An apple a day... or a hundred

My counter tops had appeared again after the many hours of canning and preserving, and we just couldn't let that happen. 
We needed another project!
 The project was provided in the form of the lurvely Becca and her apple tree.

 I so badly wanted to get down to her house before the sun set so my photos would have that wonderful goldy glowy quality... but that didn't happen. We pulled in just as the sun dipped goodbye.
*sigh*
Photography is not my forte.

 But preserving fruits and veggies? That I can do. Talking my kids into picking an entire bushel of apples? That I can also do. Emmy and Jonah picked to their hearts content.

 And Claire ate.
She's a girl after my own motives.

Once our sparkly new applesauce-maker-attachment-to-my-kitchenaid arrived in the mail a few days later, the applesauce assembly line adventure began. 

 She was really cranking out the apples, I tell you what. Her hands were a blurr!
Not really. I just don't know how to take low light photos.

 The hours of sticky juiciness were anything but boring, thanks to the comic relief.

 If you have the tools, applesauce is pretty easy to make! You don't even have to peel the apples.
I didn't take any photos of the actually saucing part, because I was concerned about your imaginations and wanted to give you a moment to exercise them.

You're welcome.

I know what you're thinking. Yes, we absolutely could drive down to Costco and buy a whole case of really nice organic applesauce. 
But if you're going to spend your time anyway - you can't really control that part - we figure you might as well spend it working with your family, creating something that will nourish you and them. Plus, when you make your own food you know exactly where it came from, what chemicals it has been sprayed with (None, in this case - thanks Becca!) and what it went through before it made it to your table. 

And who doesn't like that?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So fun!!! I used to LOVE going to the apple orchard in Michigan each fall and picking apples...and then getting fresh cider and hot doughnuts :-)

Sue said...

That's a great memory, Katie. I loved that too. And there is nothing better than fresh applesauce. Chandra made me some for my birthday. Yummmmmmm...

Diana said...

Yum! I really need to find some pick-your-own places out here!

Holbrook's said...

I love that we both love this...I am already excited about my apple sauce making and more spaghetti sauce making next week!