The pretending started out mildly in the morning, with a few Zucchini Squash acting the part of the babies. The "parents" played games with them, swaddled them, fed them, and rocked them to sleep.
Never has a squash received such loving care.
During the squash baby naps, we made the kids get dressed and booted them out the door.
A few minutes later, when Tess and I emerged from the dwelling, they (they being Emmy) had rigged this contraption.
The metal hook up in the garden is supposed to have a hanging basket or a bird house or something on it, but you know, details details. We leave it up there because Sweet Flyer (our friend the Swallow) likes to perch on it and chirp at us.
Emmy had tied her rope to the hook, then anchored it by tying it to a pumpkin's stem down on the lawn.
That was just the beginning.
She then went in search of some string and a smaller hook, which she eventually found.
She attached the hook to a bucket with a rubberband somehow, hooked the bucket to the rope, and tied the string to the bucket.
Then she ran the string up and over the metal hook and down to the ground.
Then, and only then, could they start construction on their new city up on the hill.
They took turns loading up the rocks, toy trucks, and chalk (?) and then pulling them up.
These brains, I'm telling you, are scary.
They were at this game for hours.Can you see how much they learned this morning? The ways their minds grew? It just blows me away! I'm floored with gratitude at my chance to watch them.
Sometimes I wonder what my part in our homeschooling is. Provide the materials, the ride to the library, and the environment for safe learning. That's about it, the rest is minor details. As long as they feel safe and have the stuff they need to create and learn, they've got it. Their brains are just as smart as mine (or, uh, smarter) the only thing they lack is experience.
3 comments:
When I first started homeschooling and was doubting myself and how to plan and proceed, an experienced and very smart friend told me: encourage curiosity, provide tools for learning,reward and repeat positive actions, and discipline with Christlike values. You are an awesome mommy and teacher.
You were an awesome teacher mom!
And you are an awesome teach Jayne :-)
I love this post, so amazing how their minds work. I remember building all sorts of crazy things with my brothers when we were little...but we are lucky one of us didn't end up dead...just wait till Jonah gets a bit older ;-)
I truly wish I could see the world through your eyes. I believe they are rose colored eyes that always have the ability to see the wonderful, just one of the few things I "lurve" about you!
Post a Comment