Monday, November 07, 2011

Am I feeling landlocked or something?

 It seems to me that it's quite popular in blogland to post about the books which one reads during a month. I really like reading those posts!
The reasons this method would fail with me is 1) I don't always notice when it's a new month, 2) I sometimes read many books and sometimes read none, and 3) I don't always remember what books I've read by the time the end of the month rolls around.

It's a gift, my brainlessness.

So I'm going to do a post about books I've read Lately. As I was attempting to ponder over the books  I've read lately, I was humored by the fact that they all have an overwhelming nautical theme.
This one I started last february, and it took me Months to finish it. I agonized and adored my way through it.

Meanwhile, Emmy and I read:
which finds the four Alden children living on - you guessed it - an island for the summer. 
I kept subconsciously watching for whales whenever they were near the water.

Then Katie handed me this, with that look of hers which says "Jayne, you've never read this! Ahhg! Love!"
 I devoured it, loved it, agonized a little more, and basically couldn't really relate with the tragic story of the girl who didn't feel loved. These books are so good for me though, they help me empathize, which I'm terrible at.
It was beautiful.
And very oceanish.

And then I moseyed over to my bookshelf, and what do you think I picked up?
 Guess where this book takes place? You know where, everyone knows where.
This book cracks me up. The Dad is so self assured and confident throughout their adventures, always having the answer to every difficulty, and having an endless store of knowledge of the most random things.
Reminded me of my Dad.

Then I moseyed back on over to my bookshelf and What did I pick up Next?!
Jayne! What's wrong? Are you dehydrated?
This book. Oh this book. Makes me wish I could talk like a pirate.

The only book that I read that did not take place on the ocean was The Help.
I picked one up out of the stack at Costco because I was feeling like I must have been the only woman left in America who hadn't read this book yet. Plus it came recommended by my Becca, and she's a trustworthy recommender.
I am so so glad I did. You've probably already read it, since I was the last in America, but wasn't it good? Loved it. Made me cry. Wrenched my heart. Opened my eyes a little wider, which is usually good.

That's it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't read The Help yet....

Andrea said...

I love loved The Help, and I have to say it opened my eyes a little as well. And, I must say the movie was pretty darn good as well.

Amanda said...

I read The Help recently and I liked it, but my favorite on your list is Treasure Island! That book is one of my yearly reads. :) I think I'll try Moby Dick on your recommendation.