Wednesday, April 04, 2012

One year older, and wiser too.

It has happened before. A birthday party that turned me into crazy brain lady who forgets to do things like light the candles before the kid blows them out. 

This birthday party was the polar opposite. So easy peasy, so laid back - I will never do crazy party again.  
 It's possible that the simplicity of the party was due to the fact that it was for a little boy who was turning four, and four year olds are easily amused, and over the years I've learned a few lessons about how to throw a kid party.
Doubt it.

Another reason may be that my Mommy was there to hold my hand, and to remind me that the kids would need forks to eat their cake with, and to prepare and carry out all the games for me.
Plus my sister was there with her camera, so I didn't even have to take photos!

 What was I doing during this party, you may ask?
I can't remember.

 Jonah originally wanted a super hero party, but since the weather turned warm and the mud dried out the kids have been digging in the dirt up on the hill daily - so the party plans changed.
Say hello to Jonah the construction worker/digger guy.
(are the suspenders killing you like they're killing me?!)

 And his lovely assistant, Claire.

 The trampoline provided the pre-party entertainment whilst the guests arrived.

I think they would have been happy to spend the whole hour and a half there.

But we had important work to do!! 

My dahling Mother had worked up a sweat tilling this dirt under and strategically burying toys throughout for the kids to dig up.
I helped. I tossed the shovels out there for the kids to use, once she was finished. Nice of me, right?

 We handed out hard hats and let 'em loose.

 The dirt was flying, the kids were laughing, and frequent exclamations of joy could be heard as the toys were discovered.
Do you think that I tend to dramatize my life towards being a state of blissful perfection?
You're right, I do.

 I will admit that this activity was my idea, I didn't even get it off of pinterest or anything. I didn't realize it was going to be this cute, though! Look at those guys!

 They even found worms! Bonus.

I'd love to tell you not to worry, he's just eating some chocolate.
Unfortunately... he's not.

 The worker guys eventually dug up all the toys (or, uh, close to all) so we took a lunch break, under the trampoline. Because, why not?

 Now this cake, I can't take credit for. Totally saw this on pinterest.
But it's cute too, right?

Projecting things from his facial features is not Jonah's forte. He can't spit, he can't blow his nose, and he struggles with blowing out candles. Luckily, the breeze helped!

 Eating rich, homemade chocolate cake, on the other hand? THAT he can do. His lovely assistant assisted.

We are very lucky in our neck of the woods. Good friends are near and dear, and we love them.
I hope they all grow up together and laugh at this photo someday.

Tess? That means you need to move here. Pronto.

3 comments:

Diana said...

What a little man! Sounds like a lot of fun- I'm only sad I wasn't there to dig, too. And bring my diggers.

Ben said "guy" when he saw Jonah's picture, which he also said about Claire's picture, but I could tell from his intonation that he meant Jonah looks very manly. And that Claire was lovely.

Bethanie said...

Happy birthday, Jonah boy!

JoAnn said...

I loved every moment of that day - the only thing that would have made it better: Luke and Ben!