Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kids are cool

On occasion Family Night around here gets a little crazy, but sometimes - and only sometimes - something connects and beautiful things happen. 

Last night we talked about the instructions we have been given on how to have a happy family. 

I read this sentence from The Family Proclamation to them, and then they illustrated how we do it in our family. The things they came up with surprised and tickled and cracked us up.

"Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities."
 I'm loving the work one - that's Emmy vacuuming. It's her latest accomplishment. The respect one is her playing with her treasures and Jonah's not touching them. She has the right idea when it comes to people respecting her, at least:) Oh, and the activity is trying to be a bike. She was a little frustrated with that one, although I think the basket on the back holding her monkey was a perfect touch.

Jonah's 'faith' is us in the car going to church. Compassion is him giving a balloon to his friend who broke his collar bone a few weeks ago. Activities is us playing Uno (his favorite). Work is him enjoying the flowers after we weed them.

These received the place of honor on the fridge, but after their tenure there I will tuck them away in a place where I can treasure them always.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Good job, Mommy.

Holbrook's said...

I wonder if some day I will be cool/brave/patient/wonderful enough to actually plan and execute a family night...and if you are wondering those are all the words I would describe you with...