Wednesday, August 01, 2012

The calm before the storm

Why was I chosen for this life? Why did all of my dreams come true? 


I can't answer those questions, but I can tell you that I'm happy to be me.


Sometimes I feel guilt that my life is so good. Good as in I occasionally get home from church on Sunday afternoon, and don't leave my house again until the next Sunday morning on my way to church.
Good as in I'm so fat around my midsection that I can't stand close enough to the kitchen sink to comfortably turn on the faucet.
Good as in my feet hurt so bad in the evenings from carrying my bulk around all day that laying down in bed is pure bliss.
Good as in I really need a pedicure and there's no way I can give one to myself so it looks like I'm not gonna get one.


My three kids are easy right now. They can all find their own shoes, they can all put on their own pajamas, they can entertain themselves with a pile of books for a good long time.


Things are about to change around here. Babies bring so much with them when they come. The extremes of exhaustion and joy and awe all at the same time.


I've had babies before, but I've never had a newborn plus three kids before. It's different every time. I often wonder how each one of them will adjust and what kind of relationship they will want to have with the baby.


I have hunches, but we'll see if they become realities.


Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my three. They're a gaggle of goons, I tell you what. But they're mine.


Four more weeks, little one, and then what a life you will begin!

Photography is by my talented sister Tess Abbott. Her website is under construction, but check out her blog for info by clicking here.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful pictures of the goons. :)

JoAnn said...

Come to me and I will pedicure your tired feet till they sing! :>

Sue said...

Love the pictures! You are blessed. I can't wait to see the new one.

laura said...

That offer from your Momma is better than gold. It would be worth the trip.

Holbrook's said...

I am loving these pictures! It is strange to me that I can hardly remember when your family was any different...though I do remember when it was little Clair we were waiting on arriving...and now...we wait for another. I am so glad that I get to share the smallest slice of your wonderful life!