Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Exodus

Here's our new abode, pre-move-in. We went in and did some cleaning before we started moving the stuffs in, and the girls played and ran around and tried to take it all in.
This was the beginning of one crazy weekend!

 Do you like what Emmy chose to bring with her on her first trip over? One box, containing her beloved Ee-ee.
That's it.

Oh, plus the fresh dandelion bouquet which she picked right outside our new front door!

There's two living rooms, right next to each other, separated by this half wall thing. Any advice on how to decorate such a space? The chandelier is there because they used that portion as a formal dining room.

If I ever have a formal dining room in my home, you will know that some being has possessed my body and I am no longer functioning as myself, because a formal dining room cannot exist in the same building as me. I think they're beautiful, but I personally am not formal enough to have one. End rant.

Hi! We're the Kepsel's! Come on in. Welcome to our project, we're happy to have you!

We set up shop for Millie, and she got right to work!

Her being easy makes my life easy. Funny how that works out that way.

And here we have half of the kitchen! Not sure where the other half went, but it's there somewhere. Promise.

Bright and early the next morning we got serious about moving. Papa was there with his monster truck hooked up to Pete's trailer, and we started filling them up!

I'm using the term "we" very loosely here, because I was in the fetal position on the couch. I had been throwing up all night, and had chosen this particular day to be a completely non functioning human being.

Luckily, we had hired these two movers to help us out!

And luckily, they don't really need me. I was able to point and say "yes" "no" and "uhhhng" so I was somewhat helpful.

JoJo and the girls found a corner to have an Apple Juice Break in.

By afternoon, a whole crew of loving people had come to help us out! My Grandma Nette had been planning on coming over for the sole purpose of packing up the kitchen. She had all the boxes and she had this system she had been designing and it was going to be great! Then we started throwing up, and so forbade her from coming near. Which also meant that my kitchen was not packed, not packed at all.
Fortunately (for me, not for them) these beauties saved the day. In so many MANY ways, they saved the day. I would have already loved them forever before they did this, but even more so now. You should have seen what they went through to get this kitchen into boxes. They win.

After putting it off as long as possible, this group of brave heros moved the piano. It was quite the feat of strength and dexterity, and they managed it beautifully.

I only watched through the one eye that I occasionally opened as they went down the stairs. Partly because I love my old beat up piano, and partly because I didn't want them to be crushed by it. No one was injured in the moving of this piano, as far as I know. 

And so the exodus tarried in the wilderness between Heber and Midway, and eventually arrived at the new land of promise! Two covered trailers, one open trailer, the She Beast, three trucks, and about seven cars. We really know how to throw a party, man! 

Then those boys, those wonderful boys (and girls), unloaded it all into my new house. Every box of food storage went all the way down to the storage room. Every bed made it to the bedroom. Food made it into the fridge, freezer, pantry, and cupboards. Dishes were found, tables and chairs put in the right place. They were there late, working and working, and why? Because they're awesome, loving, perfect family and neighbors and friends, that's why. In fact, I fell asleep putting the kids to bed sometime around 10pm, and my beauties were still in my new kitchen, working away at placing everything into cupboards that they had removed just an hour before. 

When we woke up the next morning, we had chairs to sit on, Milk in the fridge, Cheerios located, and even bowls and spoons! It was a Christmas Miracle. And it was all because of these people whom I will never be able to thank enough. I was feeling ready to die that day, and they took up my slack and smiled. 

I will never have the perfect words to thank them enough. All those people! Serving and serving for hours! It's really incredible. It really is.
Yes, the living room is full of 90% of what we own. The upstairs is getting carpet, so almost everything had to stay down! Which made for some AWESOME playing. 

More to come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What an adventure!! I am so happy for you guys :)

Becca said...

(I've been missing from the Internet. But I came here today. And I love my Jayne.)