We had a few prior tenants who were perfectly happy living in our home and willing to keep on living here free of charge to infinity and beyond, but we served them an eviction notice and gave them the old huck-tooey out the front door.
Don't worry. They weren't human.
Just kidding, go ahead and worry.
We weren't dealing with anything ordinary here, my friends. This was serious. Nightmarish. Creepy to the max. We're talking bats.
Actually, they're kinda creepy-cute, if you know what I mean.
There is a year-round stream right in front of our house, so you'd think mosquito heaven, right? Nope! Haven't seen a single one, thanks to our Bat friends!
They lived behind the shutters on every side of our house. We sat out one evening and watched them fly out, and counted over 40.
Now, a few bats would be awesome. Terrific, even! I appreciate the services they render. But 40?
They started getting stinky, too, which was quite unfortunate. They were in the shutter right next to Emmy's room, and I couldn't open her window at night to let the cool mountain breezes in because the bats were stinky!
That was the last straw for me.
Dads are the coolest. Thanks, Caleb. Also, thank you for not falling off.
They took every single shutter off the house (which we would have done any way, they need to be painted. Or left off. I can't decide what to do about the exterior of the house and I need your help! But that's for another post) and he also filled a crack between the chimney and the roof where they were living. He got one of those cans of spray foam, you know the ones? It did the trick. He'll have to get up there again and scrape off the excess, because with those things there is always excess, but that'll be for another day.
We were up until 1:30am, but they got the job done!
The next day, we found this little guy wishing he could get into his little crack and go to sleep. Sorry, little buddy. I appreciate that you eat my bugs, but I can't handle your poopies on my back porch any more. Love you, bye.
I'm hoping they find a nice spot nearby. There's a barn across the way, seems like a good place, right?
Thank you, super cool hero Dad dudes.
To my Bat friends, may you find a new home which will treat you better than your last one did. xoxo




7 comments:
How funny, I just finished watching Batman when I first read this post. :)
-Max
I love bats!!! You should put up some bat boxes around the perimeter of your yard. Then the bugs will still be eaten but you won't smell the guano :-)
Update: they're still looking for a home. I'm not sure where they're sleeping, but at 6am they're flying around the windows looking for their shutters. Creatures of habit!
Creepy! It took me all day to realize what you meant by batty. Duh! Ha ha
Okay, i'm buying you some bat boxes!
My parents have a couple bats. A couple, no big deal. But 40? 40 bats? It boggles my mind.
I always knew you guys were somewhat batty, but didn't understand why until now.
Post a Comment