Sunday, January 19, 2014

On my nightstand

I think that much can be learned about a person by discovering what is kept on their nightstand, don't you agree? In most cases I would assume there are books, and such is the case at my house. This whole stack is usually strategically placed all around my house, but I've been flu-ish this week, so these books all eventually made their way to my bedside.

Thomas Jefferson Education  Oliver Van Demille
      This is one of my very favorite books for guiding my home schooling. He bases education on studying classics; literature, music, art, etc.

Journal  Jayne Kepsel
      This one's gonna be a best seller. Guaranteed.
      Or not.

Mansfield Park  Jane Austen
     I just finished this one. Again. Then I made the tragic mistake of watching the movie (the 1999 one)
 because I was sick in bed and netflix was a source of distraction from my ills. Don't watch it! They butchered Jane's masterpiece and I had much disturbance of mind for the rest of the day. In fact, I laid awake last night and composed a rather lengthy blog post in my head, all dedicated to the ills of this film. But, I will spare you. Just know that I am still slightly fuming.

Reflexology Barbara and Kevin Kunz
    Caleb likes to give me foot rubs, and I fully support his habits.

Hands Free Mama  Rachel Macy Stafford
    This book was just released this month, and I'm adoring it. She writes about the effects of technology taking over our lives and the damage it can do to our relationships. She's totally realistic, as in Hi, It's the 21st Century, but she gives a lot of tips for managing and finding balance. I'm liking it.

The Book of Mormon another testament of Jesus Christ 
     If ever there was a classic, this one is it. I spend time with it daily, and I'm the better for it. If you haven't read it, I heartily recommend!

Stack of Art Kepsel Kids.
    This isn't a book. It's an actual stack of art, made by them, and left for me to find on my pillow. They leave a few each week, and the stack is wrinkly and colorful and slightly sticky and I love it.

When the new baby comes, I'm moving out Martha Alexander
    This is a picture book, and it's hilarious. It's a great book to read to kids before a new sibling arrives. (Nope, this isn't a preggers announcement. I'll keep you posted on that one).

Pierre. A cautionary tale in five chapters and a prolougue Maurice Sendak
     Just in case Where the Wild Things Are and In the Night Kitchen didn't convince you that Maurice Sendak is one of the literary geniuses of our time, this one will. Love it.

 East of Eden  John Steinbeck
       First time read, and I just started it. I'm expecting a Steinbeck. Have you read this?

Modern Essentials
      This is the doTerra Essential Oil bible, and I need it. Partly because I don't always know what to do with each different oil, and partly because it makes me feel all hippy and healthy. 


That's it! What's in your pile?

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Just scriptures and journal right now - what does that tell you?

gr.nette said...

how do you get time to create wonderful blogs when you're ill? You are amazing, Jayne.
My pile? scriptures, notes from Bro.Tesch's class, journal from 2008 (trying to catch up), a thousand little post-it notes, tax info, proof copy from printer of my mother's story, etc....
BTW, The doTerra Modern Essentials small version is cheaper than the big one, same info. Get better! Gr